9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 5:43 AM by BSEArtGallery

how do I add 'indicators' to records?

BSEArtGallery

Title

how do I add 'indicators' to records?

How do I add indicators to individual records?  What are they called in FMP9?  I have 6000 customer details to go into a new table and I need to identify them by their relationship to the Gallery.  Most of the time, they have more than one relationship.

• 1. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
          philmodjunk

There are a number of ways to do this. The most common is to store each indicator image in a container field in either global fields or fields in a related table. You can then define a calculation field that returns a container type which determines the specific graphic to display:

If(boolean expression; Containerfield1; Containerfield2)

where boolean expression is whatever expression you set up to determine if the indicator image in Containerfield1 or the indicator image in Containerfield2 is displayed.

If you need no indicator to show you can use:

If(boolean expression; Containerfield1; "")

You can also use Case or Choose functions in circumstances where you would have more than two indicator images to select from.

• 2. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
            raybaudi

PhilModJunk wrote:

The most common is to store each indicator image in a container field in either global fields or fields in a related table.

Hmm... my english must be very bad !

What let you think that he speaks about indicator image ?

I would answer that in FileMaker the "indicator" is IDcontact.

• 3. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
              philmodjunk

The indicator can be any image you can store in a container field. You can create simple graphic objects while in layout mode in Filemaker and copy and paste them into container fields, or you can use any number of graphics programs to create more sophisticated images that you can insert into a container field.

The calculation field can then be set up with any number of different expressions to select which image appears in the calculation field container.

• 4. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                raybaudi

Phil

yes, I know about container fields ;)

What I do not know is where you read "images" into the BSEArtGallery's question.

He said:"How do I add indicators to individual records?  What are they called in FMP9?"

So I'm guessing if he was speaking of IDcustomer as "indicators".

• 5. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                  philmodjunk

Your guess is as good as mine.

I read "indicators" as a request for something like the "check marks" that appear in some of of the sample solutions that Filemaker distributes.

No way to tell who is correct without some clarification from the original poster.

• 6. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                    BSEArtGallery

Thank you for all the advice.  Daniele has definitely been the closest.  I'm a complete novice to Filemaker so need words of one syllable.  I want to be able to identify each record by characteristics which I can 'tick' and I want the database to have as few tables as possible.  I bought Filemaker in order not to have endless Excel spreadsheets for each activity we run with many duplicates and inaccuracies.  Maybe if I give an example:

I want a list of 'characteristics' which I can tick for each record to identify their relationship with us.

One person could be a member, an artist, a workshop participant and a supplier.

Another person could be a supplier and be on our private view list.

Another person could be a member and be on the private view list.

It's too unwieldy to have separate tables for members, artists and workshop participants as there is so much crossover between the categories.

I hope that's clearer.

thank you

• 7. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                      comment_1

The easiest way to implement this is through a text field (or several), formatted as checkboxes using a value list (or several).

However, the easiest way may not ALWAYS be the best one. For example, if a person can be on several lists, and we want to record the date he/she joined each list, we would need to use three tables: People, Lists and ListMemberships.

• 8. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                        BSEArtGallery
                           I've done it with value lists in one table so far.  I hope that will do it.  Thank you.
                        • 9. Re: how do I add 'indicators' to records?
                          BSEArtGallery
                             :smileyhappy: