1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 9:02 AM by GuyStevens

How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?

EricaJackson

Title

How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?

Hello againLaughing

I have made a value list from a related table field and it shows only the related items for the parent table ID. I would like to further limit it to show only the values that were used on the most recent creation date. Is there a way to add a "condition" so that I can limit the values to what is pertinent to the parent table ID and the creation date of the Child table ID? I made table occurance with those fileds linked but the value list still displays all the creation date records realted to the parentID

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
          crtopher

you say you have "made a value list from a related table field and it shows only the related items for the parent table ID" - how have you set this up? Can you post a screen shot of your relationship diagram.

• 2. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
            GuyStevens

What you are trying to make is called a "Conditional Value list" but I think there might be a difficulty  where you say:

I would like to further limit it to show only the values that were used on the most recent creation date.

I am guessing you will need an extra relationship between the first and second table on the creation date but you will need to decide how you will calculate this creation date in the first table.

Then, in your value list settings you need to check "Show only related values from 'Parent Table'.

Just do a search here on "Conditional Value List" and you'll find a lot of info.

• 3. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
              EricaJackson
              /files/1c85376b33/Ex1.png 1280x720
              • 4. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                EricaJackson
                /files/ff21c80a41/Ex3.png 1280x720
                • 5. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                  EricaJackson
                  /files/33146d4ac6/Ex2.png 1280x720
                  • 6. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                    EricaJackson

So in the ID_VST portal, the field "intervention follow up" shows ALL the dates and the interventions, I want it to show only what was done on that date for that client (long story and I have really simplified "hopefully" simplified the example but I have many different outside disciplines involved here: Physical therapy, Prosthetics, Imaging, etc... as well as our own caregivers,  I'm not sure if I need a separate TO for the Creation date....

IF this is not possible.... is there a way that I can set that field to sort in descening order? If the field will sort in descending order, then at least I would see the most recent interventions and the next person following could choose those at a glance instead of having to scroll down into the Golden Age...

I have also read threads on "dwindling value list" ..... how would I alter the format for the problem List drop down menu?

Our layouts are designed for iPad/FM Go and I need these to be as "user NO Brainer" as possible.

And While I have your attention Laughing..... is there a way to default field lables when creating portals? Such a pain... I posted that question and had no comments....

Many thanks to Chris and DaSanit anyone else with any suggestions!

• 7. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                      GuyStevens

I'm going to assume that your portal is based on the client_VISIT TO and that the layout is based on the CLIENT TO.

You have a relationship between the ID of the Client. That means in your value list you will see the records of this client.

That's a god start, but you need more. We coult try and add a relationship and some fields.

But maybe we can try and fix this a simple way:

In your Intervention table create two new fields:

- "MaxCreationDate"  -  A Summary field that summarizes the maximum of the creation date.

- "c_Prob_Intervention_CreationDate" (or something shorter) this is a calculation with an IF statement:

If ( MaxCreationDate = c_Prob_Intervention_CreationDate ; client_INTERVENTION::CD_Prob_Intervention_c ; "" )

The idea here is to create a seperate calculation that only shows the value of the "CD_Prob_Intervention_c" field if the date of that intervention is the latest date.

Then you need to use this calculation field as the basis for your value list.

I haven't tested it but it's worth a try. This might do the trick.

• 8. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                        Sorbsbuster

If you create a separate relationship that includes the criteria you want (such as using Creation Date) in the way that you want you can use that relationship for your conditional value list.

I am not aware of any way to amend the default field names for portal fields.  I am guessing that the guys at FM Engineering think that it is such a relatively small number of field names that it is not a high priority, and/or the rest of us users wouldn't have any concensus of agreement about what we would want the default field names to be.

• 9. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                          GuyStevens

For your dwindling value list the idea would be to add a list calculation in the Client table that lists the ID's of the already selected Interventions.

Then you add a relationship that is "not equal" between the list and the ID of the Client_intervention TO.

And you might need a 'trick' to refresh your value list.

If you search for "Dwindling Value List" yo will find a superb downloadable example from PhilModJunk.

• 11. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                            EricaJackson

When trying to create the "IF calculation" I get an error message "specified table cannot be found" Not sure what that means since the table "Intervention" is right there. Do I need to create and additional creation date field or should I be using "INTR_CD" which is the creation date for that table in the formula?  Or maybe it isn't recognized because the "CD_Prob_Intervention_c" is already a calculation that contains the INTR_CD ?

If you create a separate relationship that includes the criteria you want (such as using Creation Date) in the way that you want you can use that relationship for your conditional value list.

Sorbsbuster: Do you mean Add another self join TO instead of linking the prob creation date?

• 13. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                              GuyStevens

I may have made a mistake in using the "client_INTERVENTION::CD_Prob_Intervention_c " field while it should of course be the field in the Intervention table itself. Not in the TO.

So: In your Intervention table the calculation should compare the Max creation summary field with the actual creation date field.

And should then fill in the value of the field that populated your value list.

All of this from the intervantion table.

What sorbsbuster is suggesting is another technique. It was also my first idea, but this technique we are using now might be simpler.

• 14. Re: How do I add acondition to a value list created from a field?
                                Sorbsbuster

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by filtered by "the latest creation date in the child table".  But if you do, that's all that matters.

Your current value list shows as being based on the relationship client_Interventions.  I'm just suggesting that is you can define a relationship that correctly reflects the criteria you mean when you say "...and also shows only the..." then you can create that relationship to a TO and use it for the value list.

1 2 Previous Next