2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 3:08 PM by VeronicaChavez_1

How do I Add Remaing Data as new records IN A NEW TABLE when Importing by Matching

VeronicaChavez_1

Title

How do I Add Remaing Data as new records IN A NEW TABLE when Importing by Matching

When I import files from excel, I use the Update Matching Records, matching approximately 3,000 ID's to over 30,000 possible ID's in my Database.  Problem is, when I import, I am getting records that are not matched because my source ID is incorrect  (anywhere from 1 to 100 typo ID's).  I would like to have a report of these ID's that did not import; how do I set up a field to grab these unmatched records?  

I've tried the "Add remaining data as new records" but then I will have duplicate records because of the inconsistency with ID's and they are missing information as I only select partial info to import. Is there a way to make the remaining data go to a seperate table where I may then compare with my main table, correct the ID and reimport?

I know the easiest way would be to get the correct ID from the first place but we are working with older data and going through 30000 ID's is not an option...

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: How do I Add Remaing Data as new records IN A NEW TABLE when Importing by Matching
          philmodjunk

I suggest importing into a different table that is linked to the target table into which you are currently attempting to import data by the fields you are selecting as "match" fields in the database.

You can then process data from this table to update matching records and to identify records that do not match without having them present in the target table.

You can either import the data twice, once as import matching into the target table and once into this additional table, or you can import into the additional table and then import from it into your target table after cleaning up and fixing the discrepancies found when you check to see which records match and which ones don't.

But I don't see how you will idenify records that fail to match due to data entry errors from correctly entered data that does not yet occur in your target table. It seems to me that they could easily be indistinguishable from each other.

• 2. Re: How do I Add Remaing Data as new records IN A NEW TABLE when Importing by Matching
            VeronicaChavez_1

Thanks for the suggestion,

I decided to go with a duplicate database and import into those with a Match current recorda and add remaining records with one field blank.  Then call a find of those that were imported but are missing data in that blank field.  Therefore allowing me to check these records for incorrect data entry.  Way better than looking at thousands of records for side by side comparison!  

Thanks for the suggestion  :)