3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2009 4:18 PM by Alex_Riva

How do i approach this problem?....

LightningAd

Title

How do i approach this problem?....

How do i create a system that allows me to select a product from the first data entry point, which in turns allows me to select a sub-product entry from a list that is specific to the initial selection?

I guess its some kind of cascade that i need, but i am unsure how to achieve it?

do i create a dropdown value list for all products, and separate lists for each set of sub-products? How do i tell the database to only show the relevant sub-product list?

thanks in advance 

• 1. Re: How do i approach this problem?....
          Orlando

Hi LightningAd

What you need to setup here is a dynamic value list based on field values via a relationship set when you make your first selection.

First you system needs to have the PRODUCTs and SUB-PRODUCTs in two individual tables, with SUB-PRODUCTs related to PRODUCTs either via the ID or ProductName, For this we will say ProductName to simplify the setup but you can ammend accordingly, so each Sub-Product has a ProductName from the PRODUCT table

The you have your ORDERS table, for the purpose of this, will have a ProductName field that will be the key for your dynamic value list.

Set up a relationship between ORDERS and SUB-PRODUCTS

ORDERS                Orders_SUBPRODUCTS

ProductName --=-- ProductName

And you will then setup two value lists, Products and SubProductsDynamic

To setup a value list based on a field you need to

File > Manage > Value Lists... Click "New"

Name the value list ProductList

specify Use value from field: Selecting the PRODUCTS table under Use Values from first field, and then selecting the Name field

Also make sure "Include all values" is selected

And now for the Sub-Products dynamic list, mostly the same

Name the value list SubProductsDynamic

specify Use value from field: Selecting the Orders_SUBPRODUCTS table under Use Values from first field, and then selecting the Sub-Products Name field

But instead of "Include all values" select "Include only related values starting from:" and specify ORDERS

Now attach these value lists to your fields by double clicking on them in layout mode and from the Field/Control Setup dialog select "Pop-up Menu" from Display as: and the from the options of Display value from: specify the appropriate value list you just setup.

Now in browse mode on an Order record make a selection in your ProductName field and then click into the Sub-Products name field and it should be filtered.

Please let me know if anything is unclear and needs more explanation  and I will do my best.

• 2. Re: How do i approach this problem?....
            LightningAd

Thanks Orlando, after reading your post, the workflow all seems to become much clearer! 

regards

Adam 

• 3. Re: How do i approach this problem?....
              Alex_Riva

Hello,

I have a similar problem and your anser works just fine for showing the related values, but what if you want to use the 'lookup' feature as well? There may be information you want from the SUB-PRODUCT table to be inserted automatically in the ORDER table. How can you do it, considering the fact that the system always returns the first related value from the SUB-PRODUCT table (and not necessarily the one you choose)?

I found a solution using a portal and a set-up button, but is there a way to use a pop-up menu?

Thanks in advance.

Alex