2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 6:55 PM by LeeMoreau

How do I assign records to users?

LeeMoreau

Title

How do I assign records to users?

I have FM Pro 13, feel like this is a dumb question.  We used Salesforce before but super basic, just to track accounts, contacts etc nothing crazy so was overkill.  Really loving FileMaker but I'm confused as to how to deal with user accounts in terms of assigning records to users.

Under manage security, I created all my users there.  I'm just not sure how to actually assign it to someone.  What I tried to do was create a new field called "Owner" and made it a drop down with all users on there, but it's of course not tied to the actual user accounts, so can't do permissions etc.  At least I don't think?  I have the missing manual but can't seem to figure it out from there.  I made also in the Owner field it set to auto fill it in with the Name of the user that created it so it added my full first and last name, so that's how I changed it to a drop down with all other users, but still thinking it's not the same thing.

Are there any guides or anywhere someone can point me to for more help?  Eventually it needs to be that only management users can change the assigned owner of a record.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I assign records to users?
          philmodjunk

Text fields can auto-enter the current user's account name at the time a new record is created. Thus, if the "owner" of a record is also it's creator, you can simply create a new record.

To set up a value list of account names is a bit more work as there is no automatic way to get a value list of accounts out of manage security. You'd need to set up such a value list either as a custom values value list or by creating a table of users with one record for each user that could then serve as the source of values for such a value list.

And once you have records labeled with the account names of the person that "owns" them, see "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set permissions such that different users have access to different sets of records in the same table.

• 2. Re: How do I assign records to users?
            LeeMoreau

That's great thanks, that's what I've done right now and seems to be fine.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong.  Thanks!