AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I control who has privileges to read and write in a specific table?

Question asked by ahutler on Nov 17, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 by RickKline

Title

How do I control who has privileges to read and write in a specific table?

Hi,

This is in response to a post by Ninja that I will copy below. How do I control this? I was originally trying to have only 1 user account(person) have access to read and write in a certain field, but only this field and no others.Ninja's response:  (What I need help with is in blue)

Howdy ebethram,

What you are looking for is Field Level Access Privileges.  Unfortunately, they don't exist...directly ;)

Assuming your record has a uniqueID (it should), create another table called "OnePerson" with an ID field and the field you are trying to protect.  The Field might be "OnePerson::Protected".  Now link this table to your main table via UniqueID.  Make sure that new records can be created in the OnePerson table via the relationship.

On your layout based on your main table, put the OnePerson::Protected field on the layout.

Now control who has privileges to read and write to the "OnePerson" table...essentially you've created field level privilege by using table level privilege.

Note, though, that "FullAccess" means FULL Access.  You can't lock them out of this field.  You can make it more difficult as Phil describes above, but you can't make it impossible...they have Full Access. 

Outcomes