3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 11:43 AM by philmodjunk

How do i create a Report Layout to get the information i need?

wina

Title

How do i create a Report Layout to get the information i need?

Happy New Year All,

I have a couple of questions regarding the database I created for a non-profit using the FileMaker Pro Advanced solution.  I leveraged the Event Management starter solution and modifying it to our needs.  We provide classes to assist our community and I would like to create a report that shows us the following information:

1.       participation numbers per class

2.       demographic information of participants per class

3.        the number of classes offered (monthly and weekly)

4.        the average number of participants per class

5.        the total participation (monthly and weekly)

Also, I did something to my Events Tab in the Record Detail Contacts…when I select the Contacts tab it pulls up the Contact Details, but when I select the Events tab it does not take me back to the Record Detail Events, I have to select the Record Detail Events Layout dropdown to go back to the Details tab.  How can I fix?

We also have a list of contacts that are donors, volunteers, or mailing list contacts and we collect different data from these individuals than the group listed above.  I used the Contact starter solution for these individuals.  However, some of the individuals in this database are volunteers that I have in the above database.  1) How can I extract information from the above database (Events) into this database (Contacts)? Should I combine the Events database and the Contacts database?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do i create a Report Layout to get the information i need?
          TSGal

wina:

Thank you for your post.

For the Events tab, go into Layout Mode, click once on the Events tab, pull down the Format menu and select Button Setup...  Make sure this executes Go to Layout and specify the Record Detail Events layout.

Go into Find Mode and enter the criteria of the records you want to extract.  Once found, then select the file/table you want to add the records to and select Import from the File menu.  Select the appropriate file and table and import.  Only those selected records will be imported.

Please let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How do i create a Report Layout to get the information i need?
            wina

TSGal,

once i go into Find mode, how/where do i enter the criteria of the records that i want to extract?

wina

• 3. Re: How do i create a Report Layout to get the information i need?
              philmodjunk

Find mode turns your current layout into a kind of special blank record where you can enter criteria into any of the fields unless they have been specifically blocked from being accessible in Find mode. Enter data or expressions that describe what you are looking for and click the perform find button in the status area at the top of your screen and you should see a group of records appear that match what you have entered.

Example:

"I want all records that contain Apple in the title field."

Enter find mode, type in apple and click perform find. You'll see records with results such as: Apple, Applesauce, Applegate, Sour Apple.

"I want all invoices with total sales greater than $100"

Enter find mode and type in "> 100" (but leave off the quotes) into the total sales field.

There are a numbe rof special operators you can use and you can learn more by researching this in the filemaker help system.