7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 2:18 PM by CarolynHodges_1

How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?

CarolynHodges_1

Title

How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?

I have a dropdown with the status of an applicant in my master table. I want to generate a report of only the applicates that show an "in process" in their dropdown so we know who to follow up with. 

I do not want a full report with all the variables, just the "in process" ones. 

How do I do this? 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
          philmodjunk

That depends on what you mean by "variables".

Assuming that you have a table of records and that you only what your report to be based on a found set of those records where a particular field has the value "in process", you can set up a script that performs a find for only those records.

See this thread for examples of scripts that perform finds: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
            CarolynHodges_1

This is all a foreign lanquage and quite disconcerning. I don't understand scripts yet and I appreciate your link but its all over my head. I also should have used the word Value, not variable. 

I have a dropdown menu where one of the values "in process". I want to create a report with just those people who have "in process" selected in the dropdown. I can get a report where it's sorted and have "in process" on it's own, but I don't need the other dropdown menu values in the report. 

Thank you!

• 3. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
              SteveMartino

But in your reply to Phil, you stated .....This is all a foreign lanquage and quite disconcerning. I don't understand scripts....  Quite frankly, if you don't understand Phil's link, or scripts, you're going to have to learn.  You wouldnt call your electrician and say, I have an electrical problem.  He tells you how to diagnose it, and you tell him, I don't understand electric testing meters or "Hot" & "Neutral" & Ground, it's over my head.....and expect it get fixed, right?  Same thing applies here. Your database didnt magically appear.  Someone created it, and someone (or many) have been using it.  If you're going to be the one using it, and modifying it, you just simply have to learn.  And they should teach you.  There are 2 good books, for starters, The FileMaker Training Series (available on this site), and FileMaker Pro 12:  The Missing Manual.  As well as many online videos & tutorials.

Trying to help.  The simple answer is first perform a find.  Click the Find button, all the fields should go blank and have little magnifying glasses.  Click on dropdown menu field and select "in process", click enter.  This will give you a found set of records for 'in process'. You then could switch to list view and look at them like a spreadsheet.

But you should add a button that performs a script to this layout.  The script will perform the find, switch to a layout set up as a report, and show the information there.  From there it could be printed, sent as a PDF email attachment, etc. 

edit:  Just wanted to add, I've only been at this for about a year and a half now.  The above mentioned books were very helpful and provided easy fast learning.  Then coming here and asking questions helped a tremendous amount more (Thanks Phil)!

• 4. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
                CarolynHodges_1

Thanks Steve. That I can follow. I'm the one who set up the database and I'm the one who will managing it. I've used Access in the past so filemaker is new to me (I'm on a Mac). I'm not a database type of person so yes, this is a foreign language just the same as any other more complex program. I can spin tails around most in Photoshop and when I offer help to a newbie, I make sure I do so in a way that they can understand. The point is that I would hope responses would be dumbed down a bit, that's all. Obviously I need to learn or I wouldn't have posted to begin with. I've already spent lots of time trying to find my answer online. Book is on order! 

I like the find option you presented and will give that a whirl. 

• 5. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
                  philmodjunk

I would hope responses would be dumbed down a bit,

Yes but how far down do we simplify when we don't know the expertise level of the person asking the question? Your original post does not indicate that key detail.

For more on getting the most out of this forum: Please Help Us to Help You...

• 6. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
                    SteveMartino

LOL...thanks for the compliment.  I didn't 'dumb it down'.  That about as smart as I could be :P  Don't worry, if you know Access, once you see the 'translation' if you will, to FileMaker, you'll see that you'll pick it up rather quickly.  The actual FileMaker help, is not very helpful to us Newbies.  That's why this forum, with almost all volunteer contributors is so great.

And don't get Phil mad.  As a volunteer and expert (Master!!) he answers about 99% of the posts.  If you need clarification, just ask & he'll get back to you for simplification.  Plus he keeps records of all the links in encyclopaedic (make up word?) fashion for fast respones to help.

We are all just waiting for his book :)  (Can I pre-order yet :P )?

• 7. Re: How do I create a report so only one variable from a drop down is in the report?
                      CarolynHodges_1

Thanks Phil and Steve! I'll be getting back to this in the next day or so. Yes, I know it's hard to know someone's expertise but as I'm new to the forum as well, well, I didn't know what I might need to add. I'll check out your link.  :)

Carolyn