1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

How do I create the appropriate relationship in a table that uses keys from two separate tables

PecCars

Title

How do I create the appropriate relationship in a table that uses keys from two separate tables

Consider following situation:

In order to generate an offer to a guest from a set of several homes I need to pull information from:

- Contact, the contact details

- Request, the request details

… in the appropriate language, as guests come from different countries.

Each contact is always assigned one single language. When I generate an offer to a customer I need to pull also information from:

- HomeDescription, several text building blocks that are specific to a particular home and in a particular language.

- Language, several text building blocks that are language specific.

When I generate an offer, it is done from the context of Contact. I have tried several join options in order to get the description of the homes in the appropriate language, but so far:

- either I get the appropriate language in HomeDescription, but it is not the correct home, or

- or I get the appropriate home in HomeDescription, but not the correct language.

I tried:

- creating a Language_ID calculated field in Request (it doesn't work)

- creating a join from Language to HomeDescription and reference those fields (it doesn't work)

Which solutions is more appropriate and how do I make it work ? 

Can you advise what do I need to do to get HomeDescription to point at the right Home in the right Language ? 

I can upload a sample of the database for your review if necessary.

The last question is: how would I go about existing records when I apply a new relationship to the tables, provide the ID fields are already filled in ? 

Screen_Shot_2012-01-23_at_17.14.45.png

• 1. Re: How do I create the appropriate relationship in a table that uses keys from two separate tables
          philmodjunk

Your layouts look pretty close to what you need. You just need a link from Request to HomeDescriptions that is language specific

Option 1: Change your relationship to include Language_ID fields.

Request::HomeID = HomeDescriptions::Home_ID AND
          Request::cLanguageID = HomeDescriptions::Language_ID

cLanguageID can be an unstored calculation that copies the LanguageID from Contact:

It should be defined to just list Contact::Language_ID with "Request" specified as the context table.

You may need to do a commmit records/refresh window in some cases before you will see things on your Request layout (or portal based on Request) update to display the correct data from HomeDescriptions.

Option 2:

Use a filtered portal that filters the records from HomeDescriptions by Contact::Lnaguage_ID

This option works with your current relationships. On your requests layout you can include a portal or portals to HomeDescriptions but use this portal filter expression:

Also in this case, you may find that you have refresh issues with the text thus displayed if you should change the Language specified for a given contact. There are scripting and relationship based methods that can handle this refresh issue without resorting to:

Refresh WIndow [Flush cached join results] -- which can lead to undesirable delays in updating your layout.