3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 10:47 AM by philmodjunk

How do I design one database to query another database with static information?

RobEastmond

Title

How do I design one database to query another database with static information?

I am designing a sales database that will be used by field reps on iPads without internet in some instances.  There are a lot of image files related to the products that rarely change.  I would like to keep the image files in a separate database to minimize the size of the sales database for downloading / updates.  

1. Is it possible to access the photos database from the sales database?

2. How can I accomplish 1? (ideas, direction, different ideas)

I would also like to have a database on each device that keeps individual sales reps information that is not needed or stored by the manufacturer.  Same idea as above, but the reps data would change more often.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

(I am new to filemaker Pro, so go easy on me if I am missing something simple. :))

• 1. Re: How do I design one database to query another database with static information?
          philmodjunk

Does the same image need to be linked to more than one product? I will assume for now that your answer is no--a given product may link to multiple images, but not the reverse.

In the context of this question, Database = Table. You can set up a table of images and link them by product ID to other tables in your database system. Each record in this table would store a single image in a container field. Whether you keep that table in its own file or the same file as the rest of your database makes no practical difference when it comes to how you can link up your images to other tables.

You'd set up relationships such as:

Products------<Images

Products::__pkProductID = Images::_fkProductID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

If you choose to put the images table in a separate file, you'd need to set up an external data source reference to the images table in the separate file. Once you have done so, you can link the images table to other tables just as though the image table were in the same file as the rest of your system.

• 2. Re: How do I design one database to query another database with static information?
            RobEastmond

Phil,

"If you choose to put the images table in a separate file, you'd need to set up an external data source reference to the images table in the separate file. Once you have done so, you can link the images table to other tables just as though the image table were in the same file as the rest of your system."

This is what I want to do.  I have created the external link between the databases.  How can I make sure the paths are correct on the iPads when I push the databases to the users?

Thanks,

Rob

• 3. Re: How do I design one database to query another database with static information?
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, I'm not an ipad user, but I think this will work as long as your path is a relative path (keep the fiels in the same location and just use the name of the file as the path to the external data source.)