2 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 2:40 AM by KIDO

How do I edita Value list?

4star

Title

How do I edita Value list?

FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1 question

I inherited a database recently and I am trying to add a new value into a field which requires validation. The validation rule is that the value must match a value from a field in the table I'm trying to add a record to.

I followed the help guide and clicked File > Manage Data base. The window containing tabs for tables, fields and relationships pops up. There are no tables or fields listed when either of those tabs are selected. Clicking relationships shows a relationships diagram. (I'm using a remote data base running on a FileMaker Server machine)

I tried File > Manage Value Lists. I get a pop-up that contains a list of value lists. The one I need to add a new value to is:

Value List Name       Source                  Values

Category                 From Field             Field:"Options::Category"

I click on that one and then click Edit. The button reading 'Use Values from field:" is selected and below the button it reads: "Options::Category"

I still don't see how to add a new value into this field.

HELP!?

• 1. Re: How do I edita Value list?
          philmodjunk

It sounds like you may have more than one file to your database. That would explain "There are no tables or fields listed when either of those tabs are selected."

To update your value list, you need to find a layout that lists the contents of Options table and which displays the  Category field. If you use that layout to add a new record and type in your new value for Category, you'll get this fixed.

If you can't find a layout that works, you can make one easily.

Enter layout mode.

Select Layouts | New Layout

Select "Options" as your "Show records from" table

Select "Table" as your layout type

click "next"

Click "Move all" to add all field from Options to your layout

Click Next

Choose "Default" as your layout theme

Click Next

Click Finish to dismiss the wizard and you should now see a table view of Options that you can use to edit values in that table.

• 2. Re: How do I edita Value list?
            KIDO

Hi

Your Value List is built from a field in table and, therefore, the only way to add new values to your Value List is by adding a New Record for each new value.

If you have a Layout for the table Options just go to that layout and add a new record and insert your new value in Options::Category.

If you don't have access to a layout for the table OpTions, you can create a new layout just for the above purpose!

Let me know if I misunderstood your issue, or if you need further help.

KIDO