3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 11:01 AM by philmodjunk

How do I generate multiple VAT Receipts in one batch?

nataliesamson

Title

How do I generate multiple VAT Receipts in one batch?

Hi there, I'm new to FileMaker Pro and can't figure out how to generate a large amount of VAT receipts in one go. I need to write approx 300 receipts every quarter and would love to be able to input the data via excel or similar and have FileMaker batch output them all together. Is this possible? Writing each individual receipt would take rather a long time. Thank-you all so much in advance

• 1. Re: How do I generate multiple VAT Receipts in one batch?
          philmodjunk

It's quite possible. Import Records can import the data from Excel or other file formats. Both the import records process and what you do with the data afterwards to generate your receipts is a process to be scripted.

There are too many missing details (And once again my crystal ball isn't working wink) about how your data and your receipts are structured but I would guess that you could import the data from Excel and then set up a looping script to loop through that data and process the imported data if any additional "after import" processing is needed.

• 2. Re: How do I generate multiple VAT Receipts in one batch?
            nataliesamson

Hi PhilModJunk,

Thank-you very much for such a prompt response - especially without a working crystal ball! ;-)

I will look into the Import Records option and see where I get to. 

So we are in less of a crystal ball necessary scenario we need to generate receipts with the following information:

Name, Address, Description of Sale Item, Volume of Sale Item, Cost of Sale Item, VAT amount, Total Amount, VAT Receipt Number. Rather a basic receipt. I was hoping that if we had an excel spreadsheet with each of those pieces of data in a different column (ie each VAT receipt would have a separate row with all necessary information) we could input the excel spreadsheet and each column would be allocated into a different part of each VAT receipt? Make more sense?

My question for you is your use of the word "scripted" and phrase "set up a looping script". By that do you mean choosing various options within FileMaker or do you mean writing script or code to set it up? As you can probably tell I'm a layman when it comes to script, code or advanced software. If it was a matter of choosing options I could handle that, but much more and I may be struggling.

Thank-you so much for all your help so far!

Best,

Natalie

• 3. Re: How do I generate multiple VAT Receipts in one batch?
              philmodjunk

Does each "VAT Receipt" list a single item sold or, like a sales invoice, can it list multiple different items with a computed total VAT?

My references to a Looping Script refer to using Manage | Scripts to create a script to do some "post import processing" of your data. That may or may not be necessary. It is more likely to be necessary if you need to list multiple different items in the same VAT Receipt with an Excel Spreadsheet where each row is a different "lineItem".

If each row of your spreadsheet is a different VAT Receipt, a simple Import Records action, either done manually from the FileMenu or via a script may be all that you really need.