4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 7:52 AM by StewartRitter

How do I get a list of specific client names?

StewartRitter

Title

How do I get a list of specific client names?

Hello,

I have a whole pool of clients, and I'd like to be able to select a group of them and print addresses, cover letters, etc instead of having to do them one by one. Is there a way to do that in Filemaker?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I get a list of specific client names?
          philmodjunk

Yes there is, but there are a number of steps, so you may need to break this down and learn one part at a time.

The basic outline would be:

Perform a find that pulls up a found set of your client records.

Change to cover letter layout that uses merge fields to insert client info into cover letter text and print with "records being browsed" option.

Change to labels layout and do the same to print address labels. (Unless you use a windowed envelope and include the address fields on the cover letter layout.)

You your first step is performing a find to pull up the desired group of client records. Do you know how to do that?

• 2. Re: How do I get a list of specific client names?
            StewartRitter

I know how to perform a find for one specific client (using last name to search), but not a group of clients. 

• 3. Re: How do I get a list of specific client names?
              philmodjunk

This will depend on your business needs and what data you have in your database. What determines which records will need to be in your group and which will not? If there is a common value such as "all clients in California", All clients that purchased something last month, all clients that didn't purchase something last month...

Then it's the same basic approach.

If you are just going down a list and selecting clients--that's much less common for this type of task, then you'll need to use one of these methods:

Set up a list or table view of your records so you can see them all in a convenient list.
              Show All Records
              Sort them in a useful order
              Use the keyboard shortcut for Omit record to omit each client you want to select for your task
              Select "Show Omitted Only" to swap the omitted records for those left on your list.

Or

Add a button or check box to click for selecting clients with a mouse click.
              Perform a script that uses either the value entered in a field (not a good idea in multi-user systems) or a list of RecordID's built by your mouse clicks to pull up your found set of selected records.

• 4. Re: How do I get a list of specific client names?
                StewartRitter

Great! Thank you. Maybe I'll create a field for our top clients...we often do client appreciation letters. And sometimes we do mailings for fathers or mothers, so I suppose I could add fields for that as well. Thanks again for your help!