5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 7:14 AM by user14040

How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users

user14040

Title

How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users

I have created a privilege set that restrict access to one table but gives limited access to other tables.  Everything works fine except when the user tries to create a new table the database link is greyed out.  

Under custom record privileges Any New Table is listed at Yes striaght across

How to I give access to users to add new tables?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users
          Sorbsbuster

I kind of hope you've used the wrong terminology here.  What you are asking is how to let a set of other users add complete new tables to your databse structure.  It is developer stuff.

The line you are referring to is saying "This user can add new records in any new table I, the designer, add to this file."  It is there as the default security position for that privilege set when you add a new table.

• 2. Re: How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users
            user14040

Thanks for responding.

What do you mean?

"

The line you are referring to is saying "This user can add new records in any new table I, the designer, add to this file."  It is there as the default security position for that privilege set when you add a new table.

" 

Do you mean only the designer can create new tables? And only a user with full access can add new tables?

Here is a link of privilege set http://db.tt/dMKGGg8S

Thanks

• 3. Re: How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users
              Sorbsbuster

Yes, only someone with full access privileges can add a table to the database.  Why would you want any other users to do that?  The title of the window in your screenshot says 'Custom Record Privileges' - you are specifying what access to records the user has in each table (or any new table you add.)

• 4. Re: How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users
                philmodjunk

Adding new tables also requires designing layouts and relationships to work with the new tables. Any scripts in your database are unlikely to be able to interact with them without modification--all developer level stuff that you really can't allow an end user to do unless they are also a fileamaker developer (and then they'd use a full access password)

Let's back up a step. Why do you want new users to be able to create new tables? Outline what you want to do and maybe we can spell out a way to what you want without creating any new tables.

• 5. Re: How Do I Give Access To adding New Tables to users
                  user14040

Ok I understand better now....

One of my customers wanted a unlocked version of my solution to do minor changes, I did some research and found out more about privilege set, and it does work fine, I just thought that adding tables was part of the privilege set, but now that you brought to my attention that any new tables will not have any relationship to my current tables it makes sense.

Thanks, I will just leave it at editing the layout structure and current fields.

L