1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 8:10 AM by philmodjunk

How do I have one record across many tables

MichaelFord

Title

How do I have one record across many tables

Hi

Just before I start, I am brand new to FileMaker. I've been working with it for about a month now, adjusting premade databses but this is the first time I've tried to make one.

What I'm trying to make is a database for seats available in a theatre for certain performances. I have one parent table which is the performance data (Date, Name, ID, etc.) and in the layout for this table is a button for each seat. I then have a table for every seat in the theatre (accessable via the buttons). These tables contain information about the seat (Available, sold or reserved etc.). Then the availability of the seat links back to the parent layout so someone can see instantly which seats are available and unavailable.

The layouts work fine, but I'm going wrong with the basic relationships with the tables and I think I'm missing fundimental. Ideally I would like to be able to create a new record for a performance in the parent table and fill in all the relevant data. Then that record and Data gets automatically created across all the other tables so I can start updating the seat information for that show.

So how do I do this? I've heard somewhere that it's something to do with scripting. But....new to this. Anyone lend a hand? Thanks very much. I'm running off Pro 11.

Michael

• 1. Re: How do I have one record across many tables
          philmodjunk

Then that record and Data gets automatically created across all the other tables

You need to rethink that. Entering this data once in the performance table should be all that you need. It should then be accessible via relationships from any of the other tables and the layouts used to view/edit them.

I suspect the issue lies with your relationship. You appear to have one table for performances and one for seating. It sounds like you have one record for each seat, but I could be guessing wrong here. What relationship have you set up to link these two tables? (especially given that one button to one seat layout that you have described here.)