AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I insert most recent date/donation from related table into a database layout?

Question asked by NancyatUCM on Nov 14, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

How do I insert most recent date/donation from related table into a database layout?

How do I insert the most recent date/donation amt. from a related "gifts" table into my "thank you letter" layout in my "mailing list" database?  When someone makes a donation, I enter the information into our "main layout", then switch to the thank you letter layout (which has merge fields for the person's name, address, date and the amount of the gift).

For the first gift it works like a charm and I can print the letter.  If they give twice, the first gift amount and date still show in the letter layout rather than the most recent gift amt/date.  I have tried sorting the table by gift date but it didn't help.

At one point I tried using portals rather than merge fields and somehow got it to work once (can't even remember how at this point), but the portal doesn't shrink or expand depending on the information (eg. a $25 gift takes up less space in the text of the letter than a $250,000 gift (should we be so lucky!) and the spacing looks odd.

This seems like an issue every small not for profit would face so I'm surprised that it is so difficult. I'm self-taught in FileMaker though - am I approaching it in completely the wrong way?

I'm including screen shots of thank you letter layout and main layout in case that helps.

Screen_shot_2013-11-14_at_1.14.29_PM.png

Outcomes