5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2015 3:04 AM by MorkAfur

How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14

JoeVillari

Title

How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14

I'm new to FileMaker. I usually use MySQL but this client's project will require FM. I downloaded the 30 day trial of FM 14 (fmp_trial_fm_14.0.1.175.dmg) and the xDBC drivers (FM14.0v1_xDBC_14.0.10.dmg) for Mac OSX. I am running Mavericks 10.9.5 on my machine. Every thing installed fine.

According to the xDBC user guide( fm14_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf) on page 16 it states that I should now have an ODBC Manager app in my Utilities folder. There is none.

This seems pretty straight forward. I am missing something obvious?

Thanks Joe

• 1. Re: How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14
          MorkAfur

I don't have the install "disks" handy, and it's been quite a while, but isn't there a special JDBC installation folder in the installation disks (or DMG) for the JDBC install itself?

I use the JDBC connection from a Java IDE all the time to FM. Works fine.

Check this out: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fm13_odbc_jdbc_guide.pdf

- m

• 2. Re: How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14
            JoeVillari

Thanks for the response.

I have the install disks and the guide. The problem is the ODBC Manager app referred to in the guide is no where to be found after the ODBC driver install.

• 3. Re: How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14
              MorkAfur

On your Mac, do you see the path:  /Library/ODBC/FileMaker ODBC.bundle

If not, then it's not installed.

(note: Although the path above should make it clear, this is the Library under the root directory, NOT the Library folder under your user folder (~))

If you do see the package FileMaker ODBC.bundle, then you could try to download and install the "ODBC Manager" program. I got mine from "Actual", a company that makes ODBC drivers for FileMaker.

See the screenshot below.

- m

• 4. Re: How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14
                JoeVillari

Thank you.

I needed to download the ODBC Manager.

• 5. Re: How do I install ODBC Driver for FM 14
                  MorkAfur

Sounds good.

BTW, if you find yourself wanting to do any data analysis beyond the rudimentary "QBE" (Query By Example) offered by FMP, you might want to use a Java IDE like Eclipse or other with a "database" pane where you can connect to your FMP database using JDBC.

Using a real database console will let you resize windows, do native queries, get real SQL error messages (not the maddening "?") and have lots of other benefits - like being able to save to varying formats like CSV, XML, TAB, ....

I'll occasionally use the Data Viewer (in FMP Advanced), but its "Results" window is so teeny tiny, it's not really usable for anything other than the simplest data analysis. Plus, you have to use "ExecuteSQL" and its syntax vs regular SQL.

There is also another SQL solution out there that is native FMP, but I don't really care for it.

- m