2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 9:57 AM by PatM

How do I make a Desktop icon to execute a FM application?

PatM

Title

How do I make a Desktop icon to execute a FM application?

I need to move my current FM application to another server temporarily in order to repair the old one.  I've successfuly installed the FM Server on the new server and moved the application, BUT when I click on a 'revised' desktop icon which points to the new server, I get an error message "rolodex.fp7" could not be opened.  Either the host is not available, etc."  If I access the application directly via Filemaker Pro on the desktop and Open it Remotely...it works just fine.  So I think I have it installed correctly...I just don't have a good executable icon anymore.  I've inherited this application and know next to nothing about FileMaker.  Help please!

• 1. Re: How do I make a Desktop icon to execute a FM application?
          davidanders

If you are opening a local filemaker database in filemaker, a desktop shortcut would work.

If you are opening a remote filemaker database, it can be opened in two different ways.

One - filemaker is opening the database directly, as if it is on a separate harddrive.

Two - filemaker is opening a shared database from a host server.

One - a desktop shortcut would work.

Two - has to be accessed from within filemaker.

(Two - a local database could be created that opens the hosted database, that database could be opened with a desktop shortcut) 

• 2. Re: How do I make a Desktop icon to execute a FM application?
            PatM

Thanks!  I did find an article from 2005 that described how to make a database that opens the remote/hosted database and then put that database on the client and create a desktop shortcut to execute it!  And it worked (after about the fifth try!)

I think this was your #Two suggestion.

I appreciate your responding.  Have a happy holiday.