8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 8:52 AM by AndreasvanHaren

How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?

AndreasvanHaren

Title

How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?

I would like to make a drop down menuthat has 8 differents names. Under this menu somewhere on the layout, I need a text field. Now when I choose an name in the menu, the info connected to that name should show in the text field. How do I make this?

André

• 1. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
          raybaudi

Hi AndreasvanHaren

maybe that I didn't understand your question correctly, but it seems that you do not need a new text field, because you can attach the value list to your field.

So go to make a custom value list with those names and format that field as a drop down menu using that custom value list.

• 2. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
            Orlando

Hi André

If I am reading this correctly, you want to see additional info on a name you have selected, if so this should not be to difficult. In case you don't already, You will need to have the Name that appears in the drop-down and its related info in a separate table, I will call this NAMES, and then there is your main table of data, MAIN.

NAMES will have

Name

Details

MAIN will need

NameSelect

Now setup a relationship that links the two tables

MAIN                  main_NAMES_NameMatch

NameSelect --=-- Name

Now to setup your Value List go into the Manage Value List dialog and specify Use value from field: Selecting the NAMES table under Use Values from first field, and then selecting the Name field. Also make sure Include all values is selected.

Value List

Now on your layout for your MAIN table attache the value list to the NameSelect field and  next to it on the layout place the field Details via the related table main_NAMES_NameMatch

Populate the NAMES records with a name and details and now when you select a name from the dropdown you will view the details from the related record, which will update when the record updates.

If you want the info to be static in the record when selected, not updating when the NAMES record changes, the you can add a details field to the MAIN table and set it to lookup on the field main_NAMES_NameMatch::Details

I hope this helps or points you in the right direction. 

• 3. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
              AndreasvanHaren

Thanks, Orlando. I think this is waht I'm looking for but for now, I cannot even find this window that you are showing. I just started with Filemaker and are not familiar with most of it. What I have in mind is having a drop downmenu on top of my layout. In this menu I have 8 names to choose from. Under this menu there is a text field with info to read only. Now, when I choose one of the names in the menu, I would like to see info about that name.  Would it be possible to give some more guidence inhow to do this? THat would be very helpful.

What I have now,is my drop down menu witgh 8 names. I canpull it down with a mouse click and choose a name. NOw, how do I connect a text field to every name? Do I make 8 different layouts first that contain the text and than trigger them with a script?

THanks,

ANdré

• 4. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
                Orlando

Hi ANdré

You can get to this dialog box one of two ways, File > Manage > Value Lists... or by double clicking on the field you want to use to select the name and from the Field/Control Setup dialog select "Pop-up Menu" from Display as: and the from the options of Display value from: specify "Manage Value Lists"

AndreasvanHaren wrote:

how do I connect a text field to every name? Do I make 8 different layouts first that contain the text and than trigger them with a script?

You dont need 8 layouts, but 8 records in your NAME table. The connection is done by the relationship between MAIN & Main_NAMES_NameMatch. Create the 8 records with names and details in the NAMES table and then in the main table, if on the layout you drag field onto it that reference Details from the NAMES table, then the info will display relating to the name that is selected. 

See how you get on and let me know if you need help with any other bits of this. 

• 5. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
                  AndreasvanHaren

Thanks for all the help, but I just stared about 1 hour at all the information and still cannot figure it out. I'm afraid I am not so good in these things. There are so many fields and names that I don't understand the logic behind it. It's all very confusing. I was hoping that I could just drop a menu and a text filed and connect those 2. But this is far more complex for me than I thought. Isn't there a plugin or something that could make this proces easier?

André

• 6. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
                    Orlando

No worries André, I have put together a very simple file that demos what I described in my post, have a look and follow the post with teh file and see if it helps.

http://idisk.mac.com/opellicano-Public/NameDisplay.fp7?disposition=download+3293

Do post if you need anymore help on this or anything else. 
                    • 7. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
                      AndreasvanHaren

Sorry to keep on disturbing you with this, but even with this demo I cannot gt it to work as I want it. I start to think that Filemaker is not for me afterall. Maybe there is a simpler program that I could use to make my database for my project. I looked at Bento 2 that needs however Leopard, I still use Tiger. Not sure though if Bento can do what I want.

Still, I did already so much in Filemaker that I would love to give it an0other try, if I only could get passed this menu problem... or maybe I should try to use another kind of layout instead.

Again, this I what I try to make:

A pull down menu with 8 names. Under this menu, 1 text field with a description that gives info on the name selected. 

I am working on a program to structure my writing and use all kind of info from the web to put together something that fits me the best. For now, the menu contains the names of 8 story genres, and the text fields are giving info about a selected genre. I thought that useing a pull down menu would be the most elegent but maybe I should use only text fields, this would make a vey long Layout page though. I still hope I can get this made so maybe you know some more tips?

André

• 8. Re: How do I make a drop down menu that's connected to text fields?
                        AndreasvanHaren

I solved it another way:

I used 8 tabs instead of a drop down menu and used the tooltips on every tab that gives me the information. It's not very elegant to do it like this, but at it works.

André