AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I make a portal edit an existing record and not create duplicates

Question asked by AllisonCahanin on Feb 27, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

How do I make a portal edit an existing record and not create duplicates

Hello!

I'm working on a database for an organization at my university, and I've only been using this program for about a month now, so hopefully the answer to this question isn't too technically involved.

In my database I have records for students who have been involved in the program and records for courses supported by our program. In the course records there is a portal that allows me to quickly enter in a courses roster (ID numbers and names of the students) -- I set up the portal/relationship to be capable of creating new records so that when I enter in a classes roster I don't have to go back and create a record for each individual student.

Everything was great until I realized that students can be enrolled in 2, 3, etc courses with our program-- FM 10 creates duplicate complete records for these students when I enter them in to a 2nd/3rd/etc roster instead of adding that 2nd, 3rd, etc course to the portal in the student record that shows the courses they've taken.  Is there a way to make FM 10 JUST edit the existing student record, and add the new course to the list in the student's portal, instead of making these duplicates?

Sincerely,

Allison

Outcomes