5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 8:43 AM by philmodjunk

How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"

greyt2

Title

How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"

Hi I am brand new to FM, and still in Trial-mode:smileyhappy:  I used Paradox way back. I need to keep track of people, name adresses, usual detail, but i also want to be able to link an individual to one or more tasks, so when looking at one persons record i can see which tasks this person is connected to.

As a side effect I would like to be able to add a possible new task, without leaving the actual persons "view".

If this is possible, there comes the question if its posible to maintain the connection-history to tasks, no longer on the list. (if you wonder, I have used MS outlook - contacts - categories. Here you may delete a category from the main list, but any event linked to this category will still show up on the individual contact). I you keep ALL the old categories you have to scroll way down (many years) to get to the present task, and this is not userfriendly.

any suggestions will be appreciated

GreyT

• 1. Re: How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"
          philmodjunk

Do you know how to work with Portals in Filemaker? That's a standard way in file maker that will allow you to work with many records (tasks) related to one parent record (your contact records). You can learn more about this tool in Filemaker Help.

Where you go from there depends in part on exactly what you mean by "task".

Are these unique records created and assigned to a person on a day to day basis?

Are they a list of standard tasks?

Can more than one person be assigned to the same task?

• 2. Re: How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"
            greyt2

Hi again

the task will be standard predifined tasks, more than one person can be assigned to the same task. On person can be assigned to many tasks.

Its all new to me, but I ask for this because whats the use of learning  a lot abot FM if its just to find out it cant do this :smileymad:

kind regards

GreyT

• 3. Re: How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"
              philmodjunk

Well then, the short answer is yes.

Since many people will be linked to many tasks, you'll need a Join table to link your list of tasks (in one table) to your list of people (in another table). This isn't something a person new to databases may find an easy thing to figure out initially, but it can be done without too much difficulty.

Your tables would be related like this:

People--<Assigned tasks>--Tasks   (--<, stands for one record (-) is related to many records (<) )

• 4. Re: How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"
                greyt2

Ok Phil

then I will try on :smileyvery-happy: even my impatience is pulling my leg. would there be any of the examples that may show how to design / select the layout that shows these tasks, like in a small scrollable box where the tasks are shown, each with a checkbox (selecting it or not). 

I know this is maybe like building a house from the roof  but once I have this workin the rest is much simpler and just requires care in the visual design, so users find it logic and natural to use.

thank you for your replies.

Forums are great :smileytongue:

• 5. Re: How do I manage people and assign them to arbitrary numbers of "tasks"
                  philmodjunk

There are many threads in this forum that discus many to many relationships and Joint tables. You can click the advanced search link above to pull some up to research this further if you wish.

The "small scrollable box" would be called a "portal" and this is something you can pull up in Filemaker Help to learn more about it. It's a good starting point for how to set up a layout to work with a group of related records.

If you place a portal to assigned tasks on a "people" layout you can add fields from both "assigned tasks" and "tasks" to list all tasks that have been assigned to that individual. If you define the relationships to Assigned Tasks to "allow creation of records via this relationship", you can assign new tasks simply by selecting a new task from a drop down list of available tasks in the bottom blank row of this portal. You can also set up a portal based on a different relationship to tasks that functions as a click list where you can click a listed item to trigger a script that adds a record to Assigned Tasks in order to assign a task to that individual.