11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 5:58 AM by jamesdalbright_1

How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?

jamesdalbright_1

Title

How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?

I have FMP 9, , on a MAC, using the Email Contact Management. I am trying to send old email campaigns to new members on a list by do a find in the Campaign Management Tab based on the Campaign Name and I am not sure how to omit the contacts that this produces so that I end up with a contact list that only includes those that did not receive the campaign yet. I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up this kind of search. Thank you.    

• 1. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
          ninja

Howdy james,

In the Record dropdown menu, there is an option for "Show Omitted Only".  This seems to be what you're after.

• 2. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
            philmodjunk
               You can also enter find mode, type in/select your search criteria and then click the "Omit" button at the top of your screen in the task bar. This tells Filemaker, "Find all records that DON'T match this data".
            • 3. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
              jamesdalbright_1

I tried this option and found that it shows the omitted records based on the Campaign Name not the contacts and this result includes the names that I want to omit because they were the recipient of some of the Campaigns that showed up in the omitted records. What I need to do is do a search based on the campaign name to find who received the campaign and then somehow cause the program to form a list of the contacts that have not received the campaign.

Thanks. 

• 4. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                philmodjunk

What layout are you using in your Contact Management File?

What table does it reference in Layout Setup...?

The method I posted should work for you.

I noticed this phrase in your last post: "...includes the names that I want to omit because they were the recipient of some of the Campaigns that showed up in the omitted records."

Are you searching for contacts that weren't part of a specific campaign or a bunch of different campaigns? That makes a big difference here.

Perhaps you can post a step by step description of what you did here.

• 5. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                  jamesdalbright_1

I am working in the Campaign Management program as opposed to the Contact Management program.

When you do a search based on the campaign name and then apply the omit it shows every campaign that was omitted and that is not what I want to do after I find all the occurrences of the same campaign. What I want to do af is produce a list of contacts that have not yet received this particular campaign by omitting the contacts that have received the campaign from the total list of contacts and then insert this new list in the recipient field in a new campaign. What I think I need to do is after I do the search of all the occurrences of the same campaign is use the get function some how to obtain the names of every contact that the campaign was sent to and then some how omit these names from the entire contact list and then from the resulting list of contact names, which will be all the contacts that have not yet received the campaign I would like to take the first 50 contact names and insert them into the recipient field in a new campaign to which I would like to insert the templet of the campaign that they did not yet receive and repeat making new campaigns, made up of 50 contacts each until the list reaches 0 contacts and then send three of these campaigns per every 24 hours until they are all sent. Thanks. 

• 6. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                    philmodjunk

Here's the problem as I see it:

" I am working in the Campaign Management program as opposed to the Contact Management program."

You should be performing this find on the Contacts table not the campaigns table. Given a valid relationship linking your two tables and the right layout, this will work.

Find/create a layout that refers to the Contacts table in layout setup... but includes the related campaign name field in a portal.

Perform the search as I described it. You are telling Filemaker: "Find me all the contact records that do not have a related campaign table of the specified name".

• 7. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                      jamesdalbright_1
                         Thank you very much for your help. I added a new layout called Find All Campaign Contacts and had to set it to show records from the campaigns_campaigncontacts_Contacts table. I set the portal window and the campaign name field with in it to show records from the Campaigns table. Do I need to show the email address for the contacts on this layout in order to get this information and insert in the Campaigns, Recipients Tab, email field? I was able to perform the search and then omit the found set of contacts and arrive at a list of those that did not receive the associated campaign. The next question is how do I insert a set of fifty of the email addresses for these contacts into the email field in the Campaigns Form View, Recipients Tab? The email field in the Campaigns, Recipients Tab is in a portal that works in conjunction with the existing Insert Contact and Insert Group buttons. Will I need to set up a new email list field to insert it into?
                      • 8. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                        jamesdalbright_1

I just changed the script and it inserts the contact ID and the email address into the appropriate fields. Thank you very much. Can you possibly help me with a button script that would automatically insert up to 100 contacts into the Recipients Tab portal so I don't have to click each contact insert button? Thank you.  

• 9. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                          jamesdalbright_1
                             For some reason one of my responses did not show up in the list. I changed the way that I am doing this from the new layout I mentioned to simply adding the portal with the campaign name field along with a hidden contact ID field to the header in the Select List layout. I had to change the show records from table to campaigns_campaigncontacts_Contacts  from the Contacts table in both the Select List layout and the portal with its contact ID and Email address in the Campaign, Recipients Tab. I then changed the insert records script for the insert button that is placed in front of each of the contacts in the Select List layout to the reflect the table changes and I am not able to refine the searches and insert the contacts individually, which is a time saving blessing in itself. Is there a chance you could help me with a script that will automatically insert up to 100 of the contacts. Thank you very much for all that you have helped with.  
                          • 10. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                            jamesdalbright_1
                               I meant to say that I am now able to perform the refined searches and insert the contacts individually. Thank you for helping me.
                            • 11. Re: How do I omit the contacts derived from a found set based on the Campaign Name?
                              jamesdalbright_1
                                 I meant to say that I am now able to do the refined searches and insert the contacts individually.