7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

How do I repeat field data in every new record ?

RomZareski

Title

How do I repeat field data in every new record ?

I'm new to FileMaker Pro and I've been searching for solutions to what I thought would be simple but cannot seem to find any, could someone please help ? Thanks

I created a file to keep track of Stock for our Sculptures and entered all the necessary fields. Most of these fields are text and have to be entered manually as they're mostly different, but one of these fields, EDITION, is a field that I would like to repeat in every new record. I want it to contain the same data in every record, 1 - 8, 2 - 8, all the way to AP IV / IV.  How do I do that ?

Also, When I select a particular field to enter data, the highlighted filed becomes black and I cannot see anymore what I am typing, is there a way to change the color of the highlighted field ? 

I included a photo example...

Thank you for the help

Skee

Screen_Shot_2014-05-22_at_8.54.53_AM.png

• 1. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? (Options for controlling how the field highlight works have changed in recent releases.)

From what I see, you appear to have set up either repeating fields with the repetitions arranged vertically, or a great many individual fields, arranged in rows and columns. Neither approach would appear to be the optimum design for your data, a related table of records shown in a portal would be more flexible in most cases. But which design option did you use in setting this up?

• 2. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
            RomZareski

Thanks for the reply PhilModJunk.

I have FileMaker Pro 13. I do not know the software too much, I watched a few tutorials and attempted to do what I imagined. I think I used repeating fields vertically. I didn't use any design options, I created a database, tables, and starting adding fields.

I don't really know how to create related table of records shown in a portal to be honest… I'm informing myself as best as I can, but it seems a bit complex as I've seen that programing and scripts are often involved, and I'm ignorant of both, I though the software was a bit easier at first...

• 3. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
              philmodjunk

I didn't use any design options,

But you did. Either you used repeating fields or you did not. Those are what I meant by design options.

Can you post a screen shot of your layout taken while in layout mode? I should be able to tell from that image whether or not you used repeating fields.

Either way, a portal to a related table of records will be a much better way to set up your database than whichever method you have used here.

I'm informing myself as best as I can

There are quite a few training resources available if you search for them, including this one which is free from FileMaker: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/filemaker-training-series/id787527886?mt=11

And we'll be glad to answer questions here, but a forum is best suited for answering specific questions such as you asked here while the tutorials, books, youtube videos etc provide more a broad based foundation of understanding form which to work.

I though the software was a bit easier at first...

Welcome to FileMaker Database Design wink

The interface design for FileMaker does make it easy to get started, but the concepts involved--the correct design of a relational database system can be anything but simple. So if you move even a little bit beyond just a very simple single table database, you'll find yourself needing to learn quite a few new concepts on how to get this type of thing to work.

• 4. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
                RomZareski

Ok, so I guess I did use repeating fields as design options. I'm gonna post a screen shot. Thank you for the help and the link, I'll check it out.

• 5. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
                  philmodjunk

Yes, those are repeating fields with 12 repetitions specified for this layout. I recommend that you change your design to use a portal to a related table fo these records instead.

I've been playing with an auto-enter calculation that would enter a different value into each repetition of the Edition field, but it isn't working. You could replace the field with layout text that has these values. You could set up a script that creates the new record and then loops through these repetitions in order to assign the values you want to see to each repetition.

• 6. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
                    RomZareski

I have to figure out what a "portal to a related table" is. 

I kinda get your concept, I just have to figure out how to do all this, I have no idea how to write a script or the language used, etc… 

Not as easy as I thought… Thank you for your help though.

• 7. Re: How do I repeat field data in every new record ?
                      philmodjunk

"portal" is a term that you can look up in FileMaker Help or in any training materials that you have acquired for learning how to create Filemaker Databases. The user interface can make getting started with your database seem very easy, but since relational database concepts can be anything but simple, you can easily be confronted by concepts completely new to you very quickly.