3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 7:45 AM by philmodjunk

How do I replace a layout?

LeeMoreau

Title

How do I replace a layout?

I have an Opportunity layout in my system so I duplicated it and then completely changed it to something new.  I'm happy with the way it is now but how do I replace the existing Opportunity layout with it?  As expected just renaming them doesn't work as scripts and buttons etc all still link to the old layout even if the name is changed.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I replace a layout?
          philmodjunk

Option 1: Update your scripts and buttons to refer to the new layout. With FileMaker Advanced and a DDR (Database Design Report) , this can be done pretty effectively. If yo use BaseElements or a similar product to manage your DDR, it's even simpler.

Option 2: After making a back up copy of your file, delete all objects from your original layout. Copy and paste all objects from your new layout to the old. As long as both layouts specify the same exact name in Layout Setup | Show Records From, this should be fairly straight forward. You can select all objects on the new layout and group them to get the top and left position of the group in points on the Inspector's position tab. After pasting, you can edit the top and left values of the pasted group to exactly reproduce the position of the layout objects on the new layout.

• 2. Re: How do I replace a layout?
            LeeMoreau

Great thanks was hoping there was a safer way but option 2 seemed to work fine.  Grouping everything together was a good tip to help maintain the same positioning.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: How do I replace a layout?
              philmodjunk

It's quite safe if you follow my directions where step 1 is to back up your file. (In FileMaker 13 and 14, you may also be able to undo, but the back up is safer.)