3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

How do I search for more than one value in a single field in filemaker pro 11?

KarahSullivan

Title

How do I search for more than one value in a single field in filemaker pro 11?

Two questions:
      I have a field in Filemaker Pro 11 file set-up with a drop down menu with multiple values... example active, pending, closed, canceled, occupied...
      Now I want to run a report/search to pull only three of the many values  listed. ( active, occupied & pending) How do I search file-maker pro  11 to only pull the three I asked for?

Also I have some users using the instant web publishing version and it doesn't even allow me/them to  select anything except what is in the drop down menu... how do I enter  codes for ranges on IWP to do so? (or how do I set it up to search mulitple values in a single field with the drop down feature.. or do I have to take the drop down feature off?)
      Thank you thank you thank you!!!

• 1. Re: How do I search for more than one value in a single field in filemaker pro 11?
          philmodjunk

In regular FileMaker, enter find mode and select the first value (active). Select new request from the requests menu. Select the next value (occupied). Select new request and select the third value (pending).

Now perform your find and you will find the records where this field stores active, occupied, or pending.

This can also be scripted.

• 2. Re: How do I search for more than one value in a single field in filemaker pro 11?
            KarahSullivan

Thank you so much, that worked and you directions were so easy and worked for IWP too. Cool

I don't really understand scripting. Does that allow me to save a particular search?

I guess what I am trying to say, so my staff doesn't have to always type in the search field what they want I can already have a report created with what they need to see? If this is different do you know how to do this?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: How do I search for more than one value in a single field in filemaker pro 11?
              philmodjunk

A script can enter find mode and enter the criteria and create new requests for the user. If this is a canned search that should always use the same criteria, you might make a script similar to this, but using your table and field names in place of mine:

Enter Find Mode [] //clear the pause check box
              Set field [YourTable::YourField ; "active"]
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [YourTable::yourFiled ; "Occupied"]
              New Record/Request
              Set Field [YourTable::yourFiled ; "Pending"]
              Set error capture [on] // prevents "no records found" from interrupting your script with a dialog box
              Perform Find[]

If you want the user to enter criteria to be used as part of your scripted find, you can put global fields on your layout where they enter that criteria before performing the script and your script can then use set field steps like I have above, but in place of a constant value in quotes you'd refer to that global field. (Field must have global storage specified in order for this to work.)

Here's an example of that step:

Set Field [Yourtable::YourField ; YourTable::gStatus]

Where gStatus would be a global text field where your user enters a criterion for the find.