3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 11:13 AM by philmodjunk

How do I select a highlighted or bold text string?

MimIYoung

Title

How do I select a highlighted or bold text string?

I'm editing and shortening transcripts. In one field I have the full transcript. I'd like to read the full transcripts and highlight the important bits. Then I want to run a script or function to copy only the highlighted text excerpts to a new field. I don't want to have to type delimiting characters, because 1) I just want to drag a stylus while reading on a tablet 2) once you start adding delimiters in your transcripts, you are setting up yourself for problems later.

I've been searching for days, but I can't find anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I select a highlighted or bold text string?
          philmodjunk

The following Get functions can tell a script of your design the start and end of some selected text such that the Middle function could be used to copy that data to a designated field or variable:

Get(ActiveSelectionSize)

Get(ActiveSelectionStart)

• 2. Re: How do I select a highlighted or bold text string?
            MimIYoung

Thanks but I'm interested in getting bold or highlighted text, not selected text. The workflow I'm interested in is:

- read, highlight text, read, highlight text...move all highlighted text to a new place.

Not

- read, select text, move text

• 3. Re: How do I select a highlighted or bold text string?
              philmodjunk

Yet what I am describing fits your original description of what you want:

1) I just want to drag a stylus while reading on a tablet

The selected text will be highlighted when you drag the stylus over that text.

To copy styled text from the text field is also possible, but this will require modifying the contents of your field by styling selected text--which takes more steps and isn't all that different from inserting delimiters. The delimiters just happen to be invisible "tags" that mark which text has a specific style applied.

Will this be needed to support multiple pieces of styled text copied at the same time?

If you set up a calculation field with the GetAsSVG function in order to see the text style tags that otherwise are invisible and such could be searched for specific style tags such as a highlight or bold style in order to parse out the styled text.