3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2009 9:11 AM by TSGal

How do I send emails based on a layout in filemaker pro 10?

rain2make

Title

How do I send emails based on a layout in filemaker pro 10?

Hi,

I have the following problem I hope someone out there can help me with. 

I have a FM 10 database containing customer data. I created a layout that I want to use to send out personified Emails to customers. If I use the standard email function in FM 10 I have to create a new message for each individual recipient, which is not what I want. I want to send out emails to a found set of recipients (the email addressses are in the database): So ideally, select the recipients, give the command 'send email' and automatically send out individual emails based on the Email layout I created. 

Is there a solution to this in FM 10?

Thx for your help

rain2make

• 1. Re: How do I send emails based on a layout in filemaker pro 10?
          casey777

Hi rain2make. If I understand your question, you need to use a script to send multiple personalized emails. In the Send Mail step, use the field for the email address, and combine fields and text to form the subject line, and body. Do a Find step to gather the people you want to receive the emails, then run a Loop to send each email. I trust you understand Loops and the steps which should be included. If not, please advise us.

If you want to do more such as include the layout or change type styles, you will need to add a plugin, but that does not seem to be necessary based on your question. 

• 2. Re: How do I send emails based on a layout in filemaker pro 10?
            rain2make

Hi, many thanks for your reaction. I think I get the gist of it, but do not understand loops (I am a novice to Filemaker, sorry). Would appreciate you explain further.

Thx in advance.

Cheers

• 3. Re: How do I send emails based on a layout in filemaker pro 10?
              TSGal

rain2make:

Thank you for your posts.

Actually, you do not need to create a loop.  When you pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail...", just under "Send via", you will see the option to create "One emails using data from the current record" (default), or "Multiple emails (one for each record in found set) ".   Select the second option, and an email will be sent to each person in the found set.

On a separate issue, the "loop" that TECman was referring can be written as follows:

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

Loop

Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; No dialog ; To: <email field> ; Subject: <enter your subject> ; Message <enter your message> ]

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ; Exit after last ]

End Loop

---------------

This script goes to the first record and then enters the loop.  Here, you send an email, skip to the next record and stay in the loop.  After you reach the last record, the loop is exited.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.