1 Reply Latest reply on May 31, 2012 1:20 PM by philmodjunk

How do I set up a one field to find data from within 3 different fields?

shrubr2

Title

How do I set up a one field to find data from within 3 different fields?

I am trying to recreate an existing SalesAid using Filemaker and I am having some creative problems.

It appears there is 1 data entry field (I'll call it SearchTerm) but when you enter data 3 possibilities exist for the data displayed.

enter   PlantCode =  R280 and I get what I expect - a portal showing the various sizes of that plant and related values.

enter   a portion of the Field BotanicalName and a want to show a summary list output and I want it to appear with a   

vertical scroll bar so I contain the display to say 19 lines

for instance  Azalea 1             I want to select from the list and show related data on a different layout that looks like #1

Azalea 2

Azalea 3 etc.

enter  a unique SKU and  show the related data for that one item.

Is my SearchTerm a find or a entry field?  Is my SearchTerm a seperate Table or Part of the Data Table?

FM_problem.jpg

• 1. Re: How do I set up a one field to find data from within 3 different fields?
          philmodjunk

Why use a single field for all three? It will greatly simplify things if you put three search fields across the top of your layout--one for each type of search. That allows you to use different scripts with each field to produce the desired results.

It's certainly possible to use a single field for this, but only if you can put togther if steps that reliably distinguish between each type of term entered into the field.

Note such a script would have to determine that R280 is a plant code and R280GC is a SKU.