10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 9:37 PM by dukedinger

How do i...

dukedinger

Title

How do i...

ok, here we go.

I'm trying to create a database that records fees paid.

I have a database already that has a stack of fields which to pertain to the persons details but I would like to include he below in one of my tab controllers. Let me try and outline what I want, cos I'm totally confused about how I might logically achieve it and think there must be an easier way that creating 10 fields for date, 10 fields for type, 10 for amount etc. 

For example, I would like something that functions like my layout below (NB. I may require anywhere from 1 to 10 entries for payments received):

----------------------------------------

'ACCOUNT INFO' '

Payment for services XY (blah blah)   

TOTAL AMOUNT DUE': $xxx.00

'AMOUNT OWNING': $xxx.00

'DATE' 'TYPE' (money for service type) 'PAID TO' 'AMOUNT'  'RECIEPT #'

12/3   XY employe1  $xxx.00 Rec#321

29/4  XY employe3  $xxx.00 Rec#356

23/5  XY employe3    $xxx.00 Rec#376

----------------------------------------

How can I most efficiently track and record such information? I'm a beginner so be gentle with your assumptions about what I may or most likely do not know.

many thanks! 

Duke 

• 1. Re: How do i...
          comment_1

dukedinger wrote:
          there must be an easier way that creating 10 fields for date, 10 fields for type, 10 for amount etc.

Of course there is: use one table for Accounts and another related table for Payments, where each payment is a record. I am not sure where "a stack of fields which to pertain to the persons detail" is supposed to figure in this.

• 2. Re: How do i...
            dukedinger
               how do I then tie the records of payments to a records with ' the stack of other fields which to pertain to the persons details' eg. address, contact details. ?
            • 3. Re: How do i...
              comment_1
                 I am not sure - because you didn't say how they are supposed to be related. From your example it's clear that a payment is associated with a specific account in a one account has many payments relationship. Therefore, there should be an AccountID field in the Payments table to tie it to the unique AccountID in the Accounts table. Now who are the persons in the third table, and how do they relate to accounts and payments?
              • 4. Re: How do i...
                dukedinger

ok. I work for a non-for-profit organistation in community services who works with clients from courts who are mandated to attend programs to help reduce rates of reoffending. Sometimes they a subsidsed rate for our service, sometimes they dont.

So I'm creating a a client database to keep records of the people we work with.

I've managed to set up a database thus far which I'm happy with which contains various personal details that pertain to individuals.  If I'm using the correct filemaker language, then I've got a record for each client containing details. 

For example, the database contains:

personal contact details

referal details

physical & mental history

As I mentioned, each client may or may not pay a fee for our services, but if they do, they generally do it in installments. hence the need to record individuals clients multiple finical records.

Does this make sense?

• 5. Re: How do i...
                  comment_1

dukedinger wrote:

each client may or may not pay a fee for our services, but if they do, they generally do it in installments. hence the need to record individuals clients multiple finical records.

Well, then it seems that your Clients table is actually the Accounts table. So just make sure you have a unique ClientID field in the Clients table (auto-enter serial number is best for this purpose) and a Client ID in the Payments table, and define a relationship:

Clients:: ClientID = Payments:: ClientID

If you set the relationship to allow automatic creation of records in Payments, you can enter the payments directly into a portal to Payments placed on a layout of Clients.

• 6. Re: How do i...
                    dukedinger

Appreciate you time firstly...

I think I understand this...

I get how I can have have one field link and reporting the same piece of information in the one database, but I don't really understand how what your saying works...

If I understand you correctly, you suggesting I have 1 database with two tables in it.

In one table, I store all my client detail fields - which we've called clients in this dialogue

In the other - called accounts, I store.... what? 6 fields (date, amount, type, paidto, receipt# and an ID to tie the table to the client table)?

lets say I do create another table called accounts and create 6 or so fields as suggested above, how do I enter multiple lines like I might in a spread sheet with columnn headers titles with my 6 field names and edit it in my main client 'layout'?

• 7. Re: How do i...
                      comment_1

dukedinger wrote:
                      If I understand you correctly, you suggesting I have 1 database with two tables in it.

Yes.

dukedinger wrote:

In one table, I store all my client detail fields - which we've called clients in this dialogue

In the other - called accounts, I store.... what?

In the other, called Payments, you store the payments - one record for each payment. Unless I am  missing something, your payments are credited to the client and you don't really have a separate entity of accounts - or do you?

dukedinger wrote:
                      how do I enter multiple lines

Through a portal.

• 8. Re: How do i...
                        dukedinger

In the other, called Payments, you store the payments - one record for each payment. Unless I am  missing something, your payments are credited to the client and you don't really have a separate entity of accounts - or do you?

I'm not quite sure what this means. I want to keep a record of mutiple clients, and for each client, I'd like the option to record multiple fields of information regarding any payment details they may make.

so in the table called payments, you're saying that I would have a number of fields called for example, date, amount, reciept etc. and another field that links this table with the other table (eg. a client ID or number).

I'm with you so far... if I understand you correctly.

Each record in in this table is equaivalent to one entry for each of the payment details I want to record. So I see how I could record one set of payment details, but not more than one. If I was, it would kinda be like having a set of records inside of one record. Thats what I can't get my head around.

If I have one table which stores multiple entries that indicate multiple payment detail entries, won't that be for only one client?

appreciate your patience here. :)

• 9. Re: How do i...
                          comment_1

dukedinger wrote:
                          If I have one table which stores multiple entries that indicate multiple payment detail entries, won't that be for only one client?

No, because each record in Payments has a ClientID linking it to its parent record in the Clients table.

dukedinger wrote:
                          I see how I could record one set of payment details, but not more than one.

That's what a portal is for. I believe this will become much clearer to you once you get to it. Perhaps you should start with a simple test in a new file to see how it works.

• 10. Re: How do i...
                            dukedinger

Ok. i've managed to work it out...

Thanks so much for your time and patience...