2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 1:31 PM by LaRetta_1

how do you add auto serial numbers retrospectively

kaz_1

Title

how do you add auto serial numbers retrospectively

After I imported contacts into filemaker, I would like to add an identifier in the form of an auto entered serial number. Is there any way that i can automatically add these serial numbers after the records have already been created?

• 1. Re: how do you add auto serial numbers retrospectively
          philmodjunk
             You can use Replace field contents. One of the options will place a serial number in the current field.
          • 2. Re: how do you add auto serial numbers retrospectively
            LaRetta_1

If you open Field Definitions and set that serial field to auto-enter the serial (and don't worry whether it is the correct 'next number' or not), then when you run Replace Field Contents with 'serial', be sure to show all records first.  Then set the starting serial to 1 and check the checkbox to 'update auto-enter serial.  FM will then run the new serials through your table plus set the auto-enter serial correctly to the last serial it used + 1.  You'll then be primed for adding new records in the table.

If you don't set your serial in Definitions to Auto-Enter serial FIRST then 1) Your Replace Field Contents will not offer the update next serial option and 2) new records created will NOT increment for you.