AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you insert values within repetitions in a Repeating Field in a FileMaker Pro 11 record from...

Question asked by OligarioLazarre on Apr 24, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 by LaRetta_1

Title

How do you insert values within repetitions in a Repeating Field in a FileMaker Pro 11 record from MS EXCEL?

Currently, I am using FileMaker Pro 11.

I want to insert values within repetitions in a Repeating Field in a FileMaker Pro 11 record from MS EXCEL (e.g. rows (records) and columns (fields)).
The goal is to have each repeat (i.e. repetition) import data from a separate MS EXCEL cell within the same row. 
For example, assuming there is a header row, I want the contents in cell A2, B2, C2, D2, E2, through T2 to be imported to repetitions "14 Requirement [1]", "14 Requirement [2]"
through "14 Requirement [20]" respectively.

The Repeating Field is defined as follows:

1.  The number of maximum repetitions is twenty (20).
2.  The repeating field name is "14 Requirement".
3.  The data type defined for the repeating field is text.
4.  The repetitions are as follows:

14 Requirement [1]
14 Requirement [2]
14 Requirement [3]
14 Requirement [4]
14 Requirement [5]
14 Requirement [6]
14 Requirement [7]
14 Requirement [8]
14 Requirement [9]
14 Requirement [10]
14 Requirement [11]
14 Requirement [12]
14 Requirement [13]
14 Requirement [14]
14 Requirement [15]
14 Requirement [16]
14 Requirement [17]
14 Requirement [18]
14 Requirement [19]
14 Requirement [20]

5.  My logic is as follows:

1.  Spreadsheets accommodate only rows (records) and columns (fields).
2.  Repetitions are separated by Group Separator character $1D (decimal 29) when exported from FileMaker Pro.
3.  Delimit columns (fields) in EXCEL with the Group Separator character $1D (decimal 29) before importing into FileMaker PRO.
The Group Separator character $1D (decimal 29) is place after the last character in the MS EXCEL cell.
4.  Each repeat (i.e. repetition) will import data from a separate MS EXCEL cell within the same row. 

6.  The following problems are occurring:

1.  I am unable to insert all of my data.
2.  Only data from the first cell is imported.
3.  The following message is displayed:
"There are less records in the data source than in the target table.  Not all records were updated."

7.  I did not create this database and it will be extremely difficult to have the person who created it to change it.

8.  A copy of the MS EXCEL template has been attached.

MS_EXEL_TEMPLATE.png

Outcomes