1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

How do you keep data entered separate from other fields?

HeatherL

Title

How do you keep data entered separate from other fields?

I am trying to create a tab that allows me to display and hold different licenses and their expiration date.  Except each time I enter one expiration date it automatically enters that same date in all my other expiration date fields.  Same thing happens when I attach a PDF. That exact PDF shows up in every "Insert PDF" container I created.  How do you create a field or a container on the same tab where you can enter different data or PDF files for each one?

Screen_shot_2012-10-16_at_10.59.00_AM.png

• 1. Re: How do you keep data entered separate from other fields?
          philmodjunk

It would appear that you have take one field and made copies of that field on your layout. As a result, they all store the same data and editing one field edits the common value held in all of them as they are really the same field.

You can open Manage | Database | Fields, define additionsl expiration date fields there and then add these new fields to your layout, but I suggest you spend some time learning about FileMaker and database design first. It's better design to have one record in your table for each license rather than a separate set of fields inside the same record.