5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 8:34 PM by JoeKantoski

How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?

JoeKantoski

Title

How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?

I have been set out on a task and I am not sure how to complete. I have a contract that is roughly 25 pages typed. Throughout this contract there are different points that will need to be adjusted such as cost of various services and and places for signatures and initials.

Believe it or not the signatures and intitial being captured is the part I have done. I have found a nice plug in that complies to all my legal needs and gives me the ability to capture and bind it to the document making it legal. I am using that in smaller one or two page documents now.

I was curious is there an easy way to bring such a lengthy document into FM and have the fields available so I can scroll through the contract once it is signed off on. I do not want to put it in a container....I think. Any help or suggestions would be great.

• 1. Re: How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?
          philmodjunk

Once it is signed off, you could use save as PDF to save a PDF of the document, insert a reference to it in a container field and then you can open the PDF and scroll through it to review it by double clicking the container field.

If you want to set the document up with data fields and you want to review it in browse mode, this gets a lot stickier. FileMaker is not by any stretch a word processor or document publisher so the results may be functional but not all that pretty to see while in browse mode. With that approach, I'd try breaking up the document into multiple records with each record being a page or possibly as small a section as a single paragraph. To review the document, you'd then set a list view layout up with the text field containing the document portion in the body sized to be much larger than the largest block of text you might enter and then set it to slide up, resize enclosing part (settings on the Inspector's position tab.).

You would need to enter Preview mode to review this document with such a layout. A data entry capable compromise is to use scroll bar equipped text fields for the document portions so that you can use smaller size fields, but the scroll bar will tell you when the text exceeds the field height and you can scroll the field to review/edit the text in it.

• 2. Re: How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?
            JoeKantoski

Well I think after asking around and reading your post I decided on a course of action. I am breaking down the contract by page and making it into a picture which then I put in a layout.I am doing five pages at a time and I will allow the user to go between the five layouts that contain the contract. I will then put the fields over top of the pictures so that when viewing or doing anything with it they appear to be part of the document.

I know there may be a better way out of there but this is the best that I can think of.  Since I can lock down the user so when they are viewing it they can only access forward or back on the contract and and I will restrict people from leaving the layout till conditions are met using scripts. Once it is complete they will be able to print though a button that will print related records and everyone can only have one contract at this point.

• 3. Re: How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?
              philmodjunk

Don't see why you can't use a single layout here with multiple records for each contract. Each record can be a separate page so you can scroll through records on a single layout to step through the pages.

• 4. Re: How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?
                mgores

If you are using the contract multiple times (keeping all of that type of contract in one file) and each page of the contract is different (i.e. the content and location of fields is different), I think the multiple layout method will work.  You can put arrow type buttons on the layouts to allow navigation page to page (hide when printing). You can then set the record level access to allow users to only be able access the specific contract that they should be able to see.

• 5. Re: How do you make a very Long Contract appear correctly in FMP?
                  JoeKantoski

Thanks guys I appreciate the thought and input.