6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 1:53 PM by JCPython

How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?

JCPython

Title

How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?

Hello,

I have tried using exeshield to make my runtime into a trial version, but for some reason it just wont open my runtime after i click the try button, the trial period splash closes and my program opens in the task manager, but doesnt show on my screen.

what different ways have you guys tried to make trials of your runtimes? being 3rd party softwares or coding directly in the filemaker solution, id love to hear different ways on doing this.

• 1. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
          philmodjunk

I've built scripts into the runtime that cause its accessibility to expire over time.

Option 1: Check the date and when the current date is x days past the date the file was first opened, display a message and quit. This can be 'spoofed' by the user if they reset their computer clock.

Option 2: Build counters in global fields that increment when key scripts are performed. When the count exceeds a set limit, display your expiration message and quit. (This can't be spoofed, but a user can re-install to start over with a new copy of the file, but this loses all their data so it can still be a very effective limit on the use of the demo file.)

Option 3: Put "Sample Database" or other layout text in numerous places on your layouts--especially any that print. Provide user customization in the form of company names and addresses. Make this customization unaccessible in the demo copy--with "customized" sample data entries so the user can see what they will get with a licensed copy, but they can't use the demo file for anything but evaluation.

• 2. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
            JCPython

option 2 and 3 are great ideas, i think ill go with option 2 however because that way the user can really get the full expirience with the software, maybe i can limit it to only allow 3 records in my main table. Thanks very much! option 1 as you said can be easily by passed.

• 3. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
              philmodjunk

Easily bypassed, but it's getting to be that you can't make good use of your computer if the clock is Off. When I reset the system clock to test an issue with Get ( currentDate ) and then forget to reset it, all kinds of things seem to go wrong in many different applications until I reset the clock. Many database solutions also rely heavily on the current date, printing/displaying it promininently throughout the system so you may find that option 1 limits things pretty well.

There's also an option to remove the admin account from your file that's good idea for demo files as it makes it harder to "hack" the file with that account removed. (Don't remove this from your development copy!)

Oh yes, and these options aren't mutually exclusive...

• 4. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
                JCPython

Oh yes, and these options aren't mutually exclusive...

do you mean that these options cant be used together, that only one option can be used?

out of curiosity, have you ever tried brian dunning easy encryption? im really considering purchasing this if i can figure out if its what im actually looking for.

what you said about the clock reset affecting other applications including the get current date function within filemaker, i agree that could cause problems for the user if they try to "bypass" trial limits, i use get current date on a lot of calculations in the solution and the date on their pc being reset to any date other than the actual date could really make the solution pretty useless to them.

• 5. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
                  philmodjunk

Rather the opposite. They can be used in combination if you choose.

I've never tried the encryption.

• 6. Re: How do you make trial versions of your filemaker runtime?
                    JCPython

Ohhh okay, maybe ill try some combination of the options