2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 12:25 PM by comment_1

How do you POST data to a URL

Aengus

Title

How do you POST data to a URL

I have been able to send a data set to a URL using the Query string in Open URL.

eg: "http://www.website.com/webpage.asp?name=" & fieldname & "submit=submit"

Some websites do not accept query strings and I am using a remote webpage to POST the data.

Is there a way to POST the data set directly from FM?

Aengus 

• 1. Re: How do you POST data to a URL
          TSGal

Aengus:

Thank you for your post.

I don't know of a way to directly POST data to a URL.  The only suggestion that comes to mind is use a Webviewer to display the information (be sure to check the option to allow interaction) and press the Submit button.  I know this isn't the ideal solution, but thought it should be mentioned.

I have the feeling I'm overlooking something...  Anybody have a better workaround and/or solution?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: How do you POST data to a URL
            comment_1

On a Mac, you could call AppleScript to run a shell script using cURL. I suppose something similar should be possible on Windows, but I don't know much about that.

This, BTW, deserves to be a feature request - especially in the context of importing external XML data. The inability to specify a POST request as the import source file closes an entire world of web services to Filemaker users.