4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 9:30 AM by BobbyJoe

How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?

BobbyJoe

Title

How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?

The Calculation Field has been pre-formatted text, how do I get rid of it for a different layout. (The pre-formatted field is someone else's request.)

• 1. Re: How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?
          philmodjunk

If the format is specified in the calculation, you'll need to define a new calculation field that does not specify a format. This is one of the reasons that you should not use calculations to format the text in a field unless you have very specific reasons for doing so. (Specify the data format for that field in the Inspector instead and keep the calculated results unformatted.)

• 2. Re: How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?
            BobbyJoe

Well the reason it was done was because the president of a company wanted it to look at certain way and the developer before me made it this way. So I'm trying to remedy a solution without actually creating a whole new field.

• 3. Re: How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?
              philmodjunk

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can produce a Database Design Report that lists every layout that uses this field. You can then update each layout so that data formatting in the inspector formats the field instead of the calculation. Then you can update the calculation defined for the field to remove the formatting and now you can specify different formatting for the field when needed using the Inspector.

But this is not always possible.

a) The formatting might apply a specific style to a portion of the data in the field.
                   b) There may be a text object with several merge fields and such calculation formatting may be needed to format one field of the several in the merge text without having to apply the same format to the other fields in the same text object

In both such cases, you'll have no option but to define an additional field.

• 4. Re: How do you TextFormatRemove from a Calculation Field?
                BobbyJoe

Okay, thank you so much for the alternative. I'll look into this and see if I can actually implement it then. Thank you.