3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2009 1:18 PM by StellaLuna

How i can dublicate previously entered data

dev696

Title

How i can dublicate previously entered data

hi...

How i can dublicate previously entered data during fresh data entry...

filemaker pro  8.5

IWP

• 1. Re: How i can dublicate previously entered data
          ninja

Howdy,

1. Duplicate Record rather than New record

2. Cut and paste field-by-field between records

3. Script from the source record trapping data in variables, then creating a new record, then Setfield with variable contents.

4. Related table storing the repeating data.

5. Other methods....

Can you be more specific?  How many fields should be copied?  How often?  What are you trying to do that has many copies of the same data?

• 2. Re: How i can dublicate previously entered data
            philmodjunk

To add to Ninja's list...  

1. In list or Table View you may be able to simply drag and drop data from fields in another record. (Must be enabled in Preferences.)
            2. You can press ctrl-' to copy from same field in the previously edited record.

However, in many cases, it's better not to copy the data and instead display the data from a related table of records (Item 4 in his list). That way, updating this info can be done by editing a single record in the related table and all matching records in the main table automatically show the updated data without you having to find and update each such record individually.

• 3. Re: How i can dublicate previously entered data
              StellaLuna

And even more: if you just want to copy certain fields, you can use auto-enter options of value from last visited.  But important to get clear on what is the last record.  Is it the last record created or the last record modified or ?  If you sign on, there won't be a last record.

oh. and if you switch records and edit a different record, it can become your last record even if it isn't the last record added to that table.  Need to know rules and user perspective on how they are data entering.