1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 8:46 AM by StylisticGambit

How is the field value determined in a one to many relationship

perjonas

Title

How is the field value determined in a one to many relationship

Hi .. I have two tables in a one to many relationship, a Parent table and one or more associated Child tables. In the child table, I have a field that i used to designate whether that specific child will be attending a certain event (the field will either be left blank or set to "Yes"). I make a reference to this field in the parent record. In playing around, it would appear that the value of the field will be determined by the value of the field in the first associated record in the child table. Can someone confirm if this is correct. Thank you

• 1. Re: How is the field value determined in a one to many relationship
          StylisticGambit

It is unclear to me whether you simply have a Child::FieldName field on a parent layout, or whether you're referencing Child::FieldName in a calculation.  If the former is true, you should actually see a list of all related FieldName records from the Child TO.  If the later is true, yes, only the "first" child record is displayed.

Comments:

1.  If you want to collect all records in the child table from the parent table within a calculation, you can use List ( Child::FieldName ).

2.  If you want to collect the Nth record in the child table from the parent table within a calculation, you can use GetNthRecord ( Child::FieldName ; N ).

3.  If you want to change the way FileMaker determines which record is the "first" record in the relationship, you can look in the relationship details for a Sort option.