1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 9:29 PM by RickWhitelaw

How many database files?

MichaelVoccola

Title

How many database files?

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 to manage an event production company. I currently use a single database file to store clients, events and venues. Currently, I am hosting my database with a 3rd party service (Triple8).

I am looking to add much more functionality to the system, including equipment and  media/content management (sometimes large video files).

Given the situation I am in, should I continue adding to the functionality of my current database file, or created separate but related files for these additions? Seeing that I am hosting with a 3rd party, is there any downside to operating multiple related database files?

My only attraction to separate database files is the ability to create the databases themselves easier because they won't have 10's of tables. For example, the Media database that will hold documents and media related to each event will be easier to create in its own database because the file isn't already flooded with the tables, relationships, and scripts from the existing database.

I am also concerned about the database getting too large if I begin storing hundreds of large files in it.

Any input is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How many database files?
          RickWhitelaw

There are upsides and downsides to implementing multiple or single file solutions. There used to be limitations on menu items for example. I believe these are long gone. One of the downsides of multi-file solutions involves complicated context. Each file has it's own relationship graph for example. Given that a file can contain a virtually unlimited number of tables it would seem a single file solution would be preferable. Using a Separation Model (one file for raw data and another for the interface) would be best in my opinion.

RW