AnsweredAssumed Answered

How secure is the database ?

Question asked by JoeCampbell on Jan 21, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 by JoeCampbell

Title

How secure is the database ?

With all the hackings in the news the past few years I was wondering what protection (if any) does filmaker pro 12 give it's databases ?

All users require passwords (none are dictionary words, all are miXeD case, with numbers) so it's doubtful anyone would be able to simply login with out alot of effort. But say someone stole the entire computer, or hacked into the computer and copied off the .fmp12 database file, what could they do with it ?  If it was opened in an editor, would it be readable or just garbled ? Windows it self has log-on password but I know to remove them and log-in anyway is like a 30 second job (ive done it before on a computers the person forgot the password to).

I think Server uses encryption, but Im not sure if that's on the database file or just the connection to other clients. But we only have 2-4 computers accessing a single file hosted on one of the machines so fmp server seems overkill (and overly expensive) for our needs.

Our backup's run each night and are stored locally and uploaded to a cloud storage site. For additional protection they are automatically encrypted with a password after the backup is run, before it's uploaded each night, just incase the cloud storage company is ever hacked into.

Outcomes