Sounds like an ID number didn't get auto-entered during the import and the absence of this ID number then "breaks" some of your scripts.
This link discusses a different starter solution, but the priniciples (and the options for correcting it) are the same:
thank you PhilModJUnk
hmm....i actually just tried re-importing the records with the "allow auto-enter" option checked, but im getting the same problem.
i will try the second recommendation now
Sorry, I'm a newbie with this software...what do you mean by "place Contact ID on a layout based on the Contacts Table"?
or you'll have to put Contact ID on a layout so that you can use the Replace Field Contents tool to assign serial numbers to your imported records.
Here's the step by step:
- Make a back up copy of your file so you can try again if you make a mistake.
- In Layout Mode, place Contact ID on a layout based on the Contacts Table
- Enter Find Mode and put just an = sign in this field. Perform the find. This finds all records where Contact ID is blank.
- Put the cursor in this field and select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu.
- Use the Serial Numbers option and specify that entry options are to be updated."
The prinicples may be the same, but the names change.
In the case of the research notes solution, you need to make sure that kp_ID_ResearchNotes in the Research Notes table gets a serial number.
Oh ok, I didn't realize that kp_ID_ResearchNotes thing was ghosted out because there wasn't a field for it lol. Added one, and made my own "serials numbers" simply going 1, 2, 3, 4,... down the column. Not sure if that's the best way (or if they need more original numbers...so far this is my first filemaker file/library), but it seems to work.
Since you entered the number manually, you need to find this field in Manage | database | fields, double click it and update the serial number auto-enter settings so that the next new record you create does not get a serial number that has already been used.
(Replace Field contents could have updated the next serial value setting for you.)