4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 4:33 PM by philmodjunk

How to "Commit" a portal record

alc

Title

How to "Commit" a portal record

In my database I'm entering records through a portal,it's important that record is committed immediately after first field is entered, so that the drop down list is populated with desired value list items (these are "related values only")

The only workaround I can find is to set a script trigger that goes to the related record, commit it, then back.

This is a db thats served from my desktop to FMGo on my iPad, so all the layout movement slows things down to much.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: How to "Commit" a portal record
          philmodjunk

The only workaround I can find is to set a script trigger that goes to the related record, commit it, then back.

Why not have the script triggered script perform commit record without going to the related record?

• 2. Re: How to "Commit" a portal record
            alc

Phil, Many thanks for the reply - seems I could be totally confused here (not a new state for me)

One reason I was going this route: Using commit record while in a portal also takes the focus off the portal row...

Nonetheless, I'd be fine doing this, but how? It seems, the 'main' (parent) record is committed not the related portal record.

"Seems" is the operative word here, am I mistaken?  Will the related record be committed if cursor is the portal row?

• 3. Re: How to "Commit" a portal record
              philmodjunk

One reason I was going this route: Using commit record while in a portal also takes the focus off the portal row...

True, but so does going to the related record and committing it there. Just the change in layout should commit this record, BTW.

I believe both parent and portal records are committed when you do this.

Here's one possible script:

Set variable [$Row ; value: Get ( activePortalRowNumber ) ]
              Commit Record
              Go to Portal row [no dialog ; $Row ]
              Go to Field [//specify next field in tab order in portal row here]

Not sure why the conditional value list isn't updating when you select a value in the first field to make this a necessity in the first place...

Maybe the relationship used to implement the conditional value list involved more than the portal and value list based table occurrences....

If so, may be this can be simplified...

• 4. Re: How to "Commit" a portal record
                philmodjunk

Hmmm, just ran a quick test in a test file. With a typical conditional value list based on a relationship between the portal's table occurrence and the value list table, I did not need to commit a record to get the value list to work. I selected a category in field 1 and field 2's conditional value list automatically updated to display the related values...