3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 9:37 AM by alexjedi

how to access fmp 11 remotely?

alexjedi

Title

how to access fmp 11 remotely?

Hello all,

I am new to FMP 11 and there is a bewildering array of features. I want to answer my most basic questions by myself before I start bother you folks here with redundant newbie questions. So I will ask a couple of easy questions and if some kind person can direct me to some basic articles on this subject I can do my research and then come back if I need some more help.

Basics first.... I have a wiresless network at my office. It is all apple product of various models and OS's. FMP 10 is installed on all the machines and I have an upgrade to FMP 11 for them I have not installed yet.

I have a HP/WIN7 netbook with FMP 11 fully installed.

I want to be able to take my netbook anywhere (not in the office wireless environment) and be able to access the database and do my work from where ever I happen to be.

I have scanned the forums and read numerous posts about remote access and IWB etc. that involve port forwarding or external hosting services. It gets confusing. I should be able to figure out most of what I need to do if I can get a push in the right direction. Also, I would like to avoid having to pay for another service(external hosting) if possible.

I DID get something to work the other night with an IP address, through my firefox browser, but have learned today that it only worked because I was on the office wireless network. It didn't work while I was sitting in Starbucks this morning. In addition I dont want the limited functionality of what I saw in the browser window, I would like to access the FMP database on the office network using the full functionality of the program installed on the netbook. I'm close... so close

Thank you in advance for your time in this

Alex

• 1. Re: how to access fmp 11 remotely?
          philmodjunk

You can use Open Remote with FileMaker on your lap top to remotely access your database, but you still must setup portwarding for your internet router so that it works correctly. Once portforwarding is set up correctly, you can launch filemaker, select open remote and then type in the IP address of your internet router to gain access to your database--provided it is open on your server.

• 2. Re: how to access fmp 11 remotely?
            davidanders

You are on your local network

All your computers have 192.168.x.x as a local network IP address.

So if your computer is 192.168.x.102 it can see your FMP server at 192.168.x.104

Because it is on the same local network.

If you go to Starbucks your local IP address may be 192.168.x.102

BUT it is the Starbucks local network not your own local network, it can see only the local Starbucks network.

You need to navigate the Starbucks router, the internet DNS severs, your local modem/router (Cable/DSL), your local router and your local FMP server.

Your computer's local Starbucks IP (you don't care)

Your Starbucks local router (you don't care)

The internet DNS Servers (you may care)

There are two ways you can access your FMP database

The database is hosted by a FMP hosting service that gives you a http access address

You are hosting the FMP database that is accessed by your Cable/DSL ISP address that may be constant or variable.

If you are hosting the FMP on your local network, YOU MUST portforward the request from your router to the hosting computer.

IF your router IP address is 23.11.124.556 it MUST have port 5007 forwarded to your local computer IP address 192.168.1.103

THUS a rerequest from FMP on your computer in Starbucks for a connection at 23.11.124.556:5007 (a FMP remote host request)

Will go to your router at 23.11.124.556 through port 5007 to the computer at local IP address 192.168.x.102

• 3. Re: how to access fmp 11 remotely?
              alexjedi

thank you both for the great answers. I am going from ATT to comcast as our service provider in the next couple of days so I will wait until I have the new provider in place before I attempt again. Thanks David for the great details, I am sure it will make this easier.

Cheers,

Alex