14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2017 10:46 AM by AndreasvanHaren

How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?

Contour

Title

How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?

I include a User.upr with my built PC runtime and need to activate all of the spelling options so the user can add words.  But the "Learn" option is not active (it is grayed out when the user right-clicks on a word and then on "Suggested Spellings").  How can I enable it?

Thanks.

edit:  removed quotes from "Learn" in Subject line because search engine can't find a word with quotes around it.  Who knew.

• 1. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
          TSGal

Contour:

Thank you for your post.

I have tried this with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on both a Windows (XP) and Mac (OS X 10.5.6), and I cannot duplicate the problem.  I am able to click on the "Learn" option, either by right-clicking or through Edit -> Spelling -> Check Selection.

Which version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  How large is your user dictionary?  Does it work properly under FileMaker Pro before you bind the solution?

Any additional information you can supply may help determine what is the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
            Contour

Thanks for the response.  In answer to your questions:

Which version of FileMaker Pro are you using?  How large is your user dictionary?  Does it work properly under FileMaker Pro before you bind the solution?

I'm running FMP 10.0 on WinXP Pro SP3.  User.upr is only 1722 bytes -- and the Learn option is grayed out prior to when I build the runtime.

Also:  1) under Select Dictionaries I've set "Use Main Dictionary and User Spelling Dictionary"

2) from the top menu, Options >> Edit User Dictionary works fine and edits the correct dictionary.

3) I have defined a custom menu for Options.  It includes Edit User Dictionary, Select Dictionaries, Check All and Correct Word.

• 3. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
              TSGal

Contour:

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm running FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on Windows XP sp3.

If you don't have a custom menu, is the Learn option available?  If not, then there could be a permissions problem to that directory.

I have defined a custom menu (Custom Menu Set 1) that includes the menu "Options" and only contains Edit User Dictionary, Select Dictionaries, Check All and Correct Word.  I placed this menu to the right of Window and to the left of Help.

With my five record database, I select "Check All" from the Options menu, it finds a name that it doesn't have in the user dictionary and gives me the option to Learn.

I'm not sure what else to try here. 

In case you want to send in a clone of your file, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                Contour
                   I use the same top menu for spelling Options that you described -- and, indeed, if I select "Check All" from that menu, I do get the Spelling dialog that includes Learn as the fourth button.

However, that's not the "Learn" I was trying to describe in my first post.  What the user sees is on the popup they get when they right-click on a single misspelled (underlined) word.  It shows them Suggested Spellings just fine, but the "Ignore All" and "Learn" options are grayed out and can't be clicked -- yet these are the ones the user is most likely to want to use.

As an added clue, the learn option IS active when I select Tools >> Custom Menus >> Standard FileMaker Menus (when I'm running the application in develop mode).  However, when I select my  "Runtime Menus" set,  the Learn option is grayed out on the right-click popup.

I've checked all account privlidges and can not see anything related to spelling.  Thanks for your help so far.  I hope you can suggest more for me to try.  This is a real problem for my runtime users.

• 5. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                  TSGal

Contour:

I have just tried this on both a Mac (OS X 10.5.6) and Windows (XP sp3) machine, and I'm still unable to duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done.

1. I created a TEST file with one field and five or so records.

2. Under Edit -> Spelling -> Select Dictionaries..., I set the Spelling Language for US English and set the Dictionary Options to "Use Main Dictionary and User Spelling Dictionary" (after locating user dictionary). 

3. I pulled down the Tools menu and selected "Custom Menus -> Manage Custom Menus..."

4. Under the Custom Menus tab, I clicked on "Create..." and started with an empty menu.

5. Menu Name: Spelling

6. I added the four menu commands: "Edit User Dictionary", "Select Dictionaries", "Check All" and "Correct Word".

7. I set the Menu Platform to both Windows and Macintosh.

8. I left the Menu Mode in the default of Browse, Find and Preview.

9. I clicked "OK".

10. I selected the "Menu Sets" tab, selected the Custom Menu Set 1 and clicked "Edit..."

11. I moved "Spelling" to the Menus in  Custom Menu Set 1, and left it in the default position just before Help.

12. Click OK.

13. I set the Default menu set for the file to Custom Menu Set 1.  Click OK.

14. I notice that the Spelling menu is active.

15. I click in the text field, highlight "TSGal" (one of the entries), right-click the field, select "Suggested Spellings", and besides the suggested settings, Learn is active.

16. I close the file.

17. Pull down the Tools menu and select "Developer Utilities..."

18. I select TEST.fp7

19. Rename the file to "TSGal"

20. I set the Project Folder to the Desktop.

21. Under Solution Options, I checked "Create Runtime solution application(s)".

22. I set the Runtime Name to "TSGal"

23. I clicked OK, and then pressed "Create".

24. After a few minutes, I launched "TSGal".

25. In the first record, I put my cursor in the text field, right-click the word and under "Suggested Spellings", I see the same information, including Learn being active.

Let me know if I've done anything different from you.

Do you have any accounts that are limited access?  Just trying to find something that may cause this problem.

I'm not sure what else to try.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                    Contour

Do you have any accounts that are limited access? 

Thanks for making this detailed test.  I have followed it and have essentually the same result in my top menu bar -- with one big exception:  the Correct Word option is grayed out at that level as well.

My user accounts ARE limited access.  But I couldn't find any account setting that would limit spelling options.  Do you know of one?  I've been looking through this for so long that maybe I'm missing something obvious.

• 7. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                      Contour

TSGal, you have probably read this from the knowledge base, but I thought I would post it for the benefit of others:

About Visual Spell Checker (VSC)

The post identifies 10 Special Cases.  I could not find a "fit" with what I'm seeing.  The main thing I got from it is Spell Checking is a lot more complicated than one would assume.  Although I hope it's not so, I'm now thinking there might be an Eleventh Special Case.

• 8. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                        TSGal

Contour:

In my test, "Correct Word..." option is also grayed out (in FileMaker Pro and Runtime).

No, there isn't any account setting that limits spelling options.  However, if you have an account that doesn't allow modification, then spelling would be disabled.

There may be an "Eleventh Special Case".  If you are still stumped and want to send in your file, then that is an option.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                          Contour

However, if you have an account that doesn't allow modification, then spelling would be disabled.

Before we go to other options, can you explain "allow modification"?  Of what?
                          I have user accounts defined with restrictions, but every text field is able to be modified by the user.  What would control the editing of the user dictionary?

• 10. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                            TSGal

Contour:

I think you answered your own question.  That is, "every text field is able to be modified by the user".

If you had a field that did not have modification (edit) rights to a field, then the spelling options would be disabled.  This is not your case, so there is something else in your file that is telling it to be disabled.

If you still cannot find the problem, feel free to send in the file to the address I gave you in the private message. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                              Contour

Thanks for the reply.  I've been looking high and low for anything that would cause it.  I'm in the process of preparing a sample file because my real application involves the separation model (which I'm including in my sample file) -- plus 200 layouts and over 400 scripts.  It's too much to send, but at the moment, the sample file's Learn feature is available and working -- which is probably a big clue.  I'll keep working on it.

In the mean time, if anyone viewing this has any suggestions, please feel free to make them.

• 12. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                                Contour

After over a year of searching (on and off) for the reason the spelling Learn option was grayed out in my runtimes, I FOUND IT.

It was all because I had decided to move individual Spelling commands (like "Select Dictionaries" and "Edit User Dictionary") to be directly accessed under a top-level Options Menu.  I did that using the Edit Custom Menu >> Add >> FileMaker Command.

UNFORTUNATELY, not having "Spelling ..." in one of the top-level menus, turns off the Learn option (grays it out).  Users can't get to it, no matter what their privilege set is.

Too bad this isn't mentioned anywhere in FileMaker Help.  I suspect it's because 1) this has rarely been encountered because very few developers attempt to fine tune menus to this level and 2) this case just isn't known about within FileMaker.  But maybe now it will be. 

• 13. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                                  TSGal

Contour:

First and foremost, I'm glad you were able to find the solution.

I have forwarded the entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can review and confirm.  If any information becomes available, I will post here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: How to activate spelling Learn in runtime?
                                    AndreasvanHaren

I had the same problem, but it was solved after I created a NEW user dictionary.