1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2014 2:52 PM by philmodjunk

How to Add an Artist to a Gallery and Gallery to an Artist without duplicating

FeldyNYC

Title

How to Add an Artist to a Gallery and Gallery to an Artist without duplicating

I have a Gallery Table and an Artist Table.  

I would like to add an Artist that is represented by the Gallery and then when I look at the Artist be able to see which Gallery the artist shows at.

Should I Create a new table called Artists_Gallery_Representation - with a unique ID?  Should I create an artist Field and a Gallery field? or Foreign Key fields for Artist_FK or Gallery_FK?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Feldy

• 1. Re: How to Add an Artist to a Gallery and Gallery to an Artist without duplicating
          philmodjunk

I think that this is your situation:

An artist can show their work at more than one gallery. A gallery can show the work of more than one artist.

If that is the case, you have a many to many relationship.

Start with these relationships:

Artists-----<Artist_Gallery>-----Galleries

Artists::__pkArtistID = Artist_Gallery::_fkArtistID
               Galleries::__pkGalleryID = Artist_Gallery::_fkGalleryID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

You can place a portal to Artist_Gallery on the Artists layout to list and select  Galleries records for each given Artists record. Fields from Galleries can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Galleries record and the _fkGalleryID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Galleries records by their ID field.

In similar fashion, a portal to Artist_Gallery can be placed on the Galleries layout to list all artists showing work at that gallery.