3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 9:19 AM by philmodjunk

how to allow guest data entry into a single record via a template?

ProfessorCoates

Title

how to allow guest data entry into a single record via a template?

I'm new to Filemaker but we can see many applications of advantage to our research laboratory. One is to have international researchers complete a 2 page template (which I have set up in Filemaker 12 Pro - this will make a book, and looks great!) but I can't seem to find a way of giving them access to a blank template for them each to enter their own data in a record without write or edit access to all the other records.  I'm sure I must have missed something simple but all the help/ documentation seems to imply that the data is input by someone (even a Guest) with access to all the database.

(We have Filemaker Pro and server - I've only used Filemaker pro in the limited time so far).

• 1. Re: how to allow guest data entry into a single record via a template?
          Sorbsbuster

You can define, quite precisely, the access privileges users have in File - Manage  - Security.  Under the 'Privilege Sets' tab you can specify what records users can see.  One way would be to automatically record the Creator Name (a field that is good practice to add always) for each record, and then specify that users of the group can only have access to those records where the Creator Name = Get ( AccountName ).

• 2. Re: how to allow guest data entry into a single record via a template?
            ProfessorCoates

I'm not sure that I made myself clear.  The issue is that I want a GUEST who does not have a Filemaker licence, so no copy of Filemaker, to be able to write their individual data into a single record via a template.  I was aware of the privileges but not convinced this is what I am asking about (but accept that it may be!) - does it apply to a real 'Guest' as I have defined above?   The help and documentation all seems to (perhaps naturally) assume that the person entering data has a license/ is a member of the team using Filemaker.   I thought (and I think) it must be possible to have a template via the web for data entry by people around the world, each of whom would, for the time they enter data, be a guest user.  Is it just me being too busy to get into the detail sufficiently?

• 3. Re: how to allow guest data entry into a single record via a template?
              philmodjunk

If they do not have a copy of FileMaker Pro, then the only way that they can access a hosted database is if you publish it to the web so that they can access it from a web browser. The other option would be to use FileMaker Advanced to create a runtime version of your template that you would email to them (Or that they would download from a sharing site) so that they could complete the form and then email it back to you for importing into your database.