AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to associate a custom amount of records with an individual record of another field?

Question asked by CodyRomphf on May 20, 2012
Latest reply on May 21, 2012 by CodyRomphf

Title

How to associate a custom amount of records with an individual record of another field?

Hi,

I am new to FileMaker pro and have a problem that may be already answered on this forum but I was unable to find anything that made sense to me. So I apologize in advance if this problem has been solved in the past.

I am trying to create two seperate layouts, one that is a series of items, and the other that allows me to copy and paste information and have it associate with the specific record on the first layout. So say you had a series of essay titles as records all displayed on the first layout, I want to be able to press a button that takes you to the second layout where you could copy and past information. The trick I am running into is that if I want to copy and paste several entries they will not associate with the specific essay title.

So far I have set up that you can press a button that takes you to the second layout and allows you to copy and paste said information into the database. But when I attempt to create a new record (2 items connected to one essay title) it does not associate with my original item. If it makes more sense what I want is an essay title as record 1. Then seperate pieces connected as 1a, 1b, 1c...etc. Not 1, 2, 3, 4.

If anyone has any suggestions at all it would be greatly appreciated. Or if a more clear description is required/more information please let me know and I will provide what is required.

Thanks in advance.

Cody

Outcomes