How to automatically create records when entering data on seperate table

AllisonCahanin

Title

How to automatically create records when entering data on seperate table

I have the relationship

Courses----<Enrollment>----Students

Courses::__pkCourseID = Enrollment::_fkCourseID
           Students::__pkStudentID = Enrollment::_fkStudentID

I want to be able to enter a students ID and course ID into enrollment and have the database automatically create a record with the students ID and courses they are enrolled in on it in my student records, or update a students record if they already have one.  Right now if I type in a students ID their record fills up with the classes they've taken, but that defeats the purpose of entering info into enrollment.

• 1. Re: How to automatically create records when entering data on seperate table
          philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to to with your layout based on the enrollment table. A single record in enrollment matches up a single student to a single course when teh _fk fields are given values that match to existing records in the other two tables so It's not clear to me what you mean by: Right now if I type in a students ID their record fills up with the classes they've taken

That sounds like something you are doing on a layout based on Students, not enrollment.

Seems like you need a global search field where you can enter information about a student--perhaps a name or externally generated Student ID--not the __pkStudentID value and then a script can search Students for a record for that student--either listing all matching student records or, if none are found, it can display a message offering to create a new student record with the search data you entered.

• 2. Re: How to automatically create records when entering data on seperate table
            AllisonCahanin

I want to be able to enter in information into enrollment (ie a student ID and a course ID), and have my database create student records for the students that I enter in or edit their existing record (and add the course that I just enrolled them in).  That way I don't have to go to student records and enter in each eid on a record to see the classes they've taken.

• 3. Re: How to automatically create records when entering data on seperate table
              philmodjunk

But your student ID does not exist until the record is created so you can't enter a value that does not yet exist. (I know it's tempting to use a different value external to FileMaker as the student ID, but this is not the best way to go about this.)

I'd use a portal to the join table to record new enrollment data for new and existing students. You can add a search tool that allows you to find existing students and when no such student is found, the script can offer to create a new record for that student.