4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 8:27 AM by sundown

How to automatically store updated record history?

sundown

Title

How to automatically store updated record history?

Question: I have a database in a table that I update some client records several times with a performance review. I want to store (archive) the updated records (probably in a separate table) each time I update them so I can later retrieve the multiple performance records.
      I don't want to add multiple records of the same client in the operational table, so I assume I need to make another table to store them.
      How do I transfer (with a script) each set of updated records to the new (archive) table?

• 1. Re: How to automatically store updated record history?
          philmodjunk

Define a script in the that uses Import Records to import the record into the Archive table. For safest results set this step up with use matching names and make sure your field in each table have the same name. (You can create your archive table by making a copy of the original table--modifying any field options as needed to permit the existance of records with duplicate values.)

Your script might look like this:

Show all records

Omit record

Show Omitted Only

#Isolate current record in a one record found set to make sure no other records are archived

Import records ["Filename"; Add]

For archiving multiple records in one step, perform a find to isolate them in one found set instead of the first three steps of the above script.

• 2. Re: How to automatically store updated record history?
            sundown

Thanks for the reply. Still not clear on the Import. Import asks for a filename & I'm only using one database file. Here is what I want to do.

I do a FIND on a table to show the records I am adding status to. I then print these records. I want to transfer/archive these selected records in another Table (same database file) every time I add status & print them.

Have not figured out how to export/import these records from one table to the other with a script. Can this be done in one file between two tables?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: How to automatically store updated record history?
              philmodjunk

When you specify the file, simply select the file currently open.

"Have not figured out how to export/import these records from one table to the other with a script. Can this be done in one file between two tables?"

The steps are the same, you simply specify your current file just like you would an external file.

• 4. Re: How to automatically store updated record history?
                sundown
                   Thanks very much. i just needed to align my import/exports & it works great.