4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 7:43 AM by WBSimon

How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown

D.S.

Title

How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown

Hi there

Newbie question I'm afraid...

How do I bring fields from other tables into a dropdown field? I want the entire selection categorised alphabetically - so for example, say I have a table called 'ways to cook eggs' and a table called 'ways to cook bacon' how would i list all the contents of these fields in a dropdown called 'ways to cook bacon and eggs'

if that makes any sense at all

• 1. Re: How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown
          philmodjunk

You would need a single table that contains the date from both of your separate tables in a single table. Perhaps you should explain why the data is in two separate tables instead of one?

• 2. Re: How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown
            D.S.

Thanks Phil

Yes that might be simpler than my cryptic breakfast list.

I'm trying to collate owners of property from two different categories - companies and councils - which for admin purposes need to be kept separate. 

I have a contacts layout which needs a dropdown that offers a list of the owners of both companies and councils.

Can I do this without using IDs or dates?

• 3. Re: How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown
              philmodjunk

But "keeping them separate" does not require separate tables. The data can be kept in the same table and your interface and access controls can limit access to records of just one category or the other without needing to use separate tables.

The interim solution is to set up a Table linked to both your company and council tables that you load with the needed data for your value list--which is common to both tables and then link each record to a record in either the Company or the Council table. Once you have moved this data into the common table from fields in the other two, you can remove those fields from the company and council tables as the data now resides in your common table.

• 4. Re: How to bring fields from multiple tables in dropdown
                WBSimon

If you must bring multiple fields together from multiple table, choose one linked table as your base table (can't think of a better term), then create a calculated field from the other table(s) just using the data from the other table.